My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgohean

Reaction score
The ingredients - grain, hops, yeast, and malt extract
DSC_3945.JPG

Steeping the grains
DSC_3949.JPG

Stirring in the malt extract
DSC_3953.JPG

Stirring to a boil
DSC_3970.JPG

Yeah, that would end very badly for me, she's already not too happy about the sulfer/rotten egg smell filling the closet and stinking up our coats. Is clogging a common occurrence? There's 3+ inches of head space.

If you don't want to brew in the closet you can keep the cardboard boxes that the carboys ship in and put that over your fermentor. Keeps the light off and any funk from invading your clothes.

some beers can have kraussen 6+ inches thick. I'm going to go with a tube attached to my airlock and going into another bucket/bottle of water from now on. Looks like you did a nice job. what recipe was it? Amber Ale?

Having it in the closet is nice though for containing the rotten egg smell - I might put the box over in the closet though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well I based it off the color of the unfermented wort and the yeast you used. should be right tasty.

Update:

I've put the bucket in a water bath to bring the temperature down (ambient closet temp was around 77)

Checked the FG for the first time on day 4 - it's at 1.014 - right on the money, according to the recipe. Tasted it - it was good, like a really flat and warm Fat Tire.

Should I go ahead and rack to the secondary or give it a couple days?

personally I would wait a few more days and take a couple more readings to make sure it stays the same. I don't even go to a secondary anymore unless adding fruit or it needs to ferment for a really long time. Mine just sit in the primary for 3-4 weeks.

Also I like to prop my fermenters up so it is sitting at am angle. That way the trub goes towards one corner so you can siphon from the other corner and get as much clean beer as possible.

Back