Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been calling my stuff Loretta Stone Brewing. The story is, my brother in a cheerful state, was remarking upon a paving stone I have nestled next to my fire-pit. He wondered why it was there and was it the famous slab used to translate ancient languages..."the Loretta Stone or something like that..." My other brother seated next to him explained that he meant the Rosetta Stone, but that the Loretta Stone was not quite as famous as it translates the languages of Ebonics, Pig Latin, Esperanto and Chinese-Yiddish...

So we've got beers called "Eyray Cervesa", "Falsa Guinness", and "Hanukkah Bush Ale"

Since I brew Scottish Ales and a history nut I thought I'd go with a name that represents both. Reiver Ale Brewery has been producing mostly 80 schilling ale to date but I'm going to try my first heather ale this spring!

Rocky Dennis brewery because i was in a class with a girl that looked like him and my friends thought it was funny and started naming our beers rocky dennis

Broke down in Red River Gorge and got a ride back to town from a local who told me the name of the area right before the Nada Tunnel when you go into the Gorge was called Snaky Holler, So that's where Snaky Holler Brewery was born.

I would go with my last name as my brewery name, but my last name is Cleveland. The thing is I like to brew Steams every once in a while, and well...
Cleveland Steam...
Its the name of an awful sex act (if not fictional), if you add an "er".

Not to be picky, b/c I love the name of your brewery and the logo is sweet, but is the fact that you have a right hand on your logo a subtle joke or am I just reading too much into it?:confused:

Sorry about the typo of "Southpay", this concrete right handed person cannot type very well without coffee. :eek:

I named my home brewery after the great Bob Marley but swapped the first letters in the names. Thus, Mob Barley's Brewery was born. I named a few beers in the spirit of the original. Mob Barley's Ganja Geuze, Mob Barley's Panama Red Ale... you get the picture.

My is pretty simple. I just really couldn't come up with anything cool and then the name of my street popped into my head, Wild Ginger. So I thought it would be go with that and name the beers that way too, Wild Brown Ale, Wild IPA, etc...

I would go with my last name as my brewery name, but my last name is Cleveland. The thing is I like to brew Steams every once in a while, and well...
Cleveland Steam...
Its the name of an awful sex act (if not fictional), if you add an "er".

The artwork on that logo is gonna be a real beaut!

Not to be picky, b/c I love the name of your brewery and the logo is sweet, but is the fact that you have a right hand on your logo a subtle joke or am I just reading too much into it?:confused:

I think youre looking at it the wrong way, as i at first did as well. Its a hand print, of the left hand. Youre looking at it like someones holding their hand up to you, but its actually an imprint of the hand. put your left hand, palm towards the screen and youll see what im saying.

I originally wanted to go with "Perfect Storm Brewing" (long story), but that's taken. So's Lighthouse. So's Barefoot. Wanted something Celtic, so after a lot of potential names that had already been taken settled on "Imbolc Brewing Co".

Imbolc is one of the Celtic spring holidays. I like spring 'cause I'm almost done shoveling snow, the boat's getting ready to go back in the water, racing season's coming around, and I can go barefoot w/o getting cold.
:mug:

Edit: Oh yeah, and Imbolc is derived from the old Irish "I mbolg" which means "in the belly". :)

Mine is Lightning Mountain Brewery. When my brother-in-law and I first started brewing together back in 1985 I struggled with a name. He had a lightning bolt tattoo and I have a mountain tattoo, so there you go. He gave it up with me shortly there after, but I like the name so I kept it.

Whispering Pines Brewery. My families ranch in eastern Oregon was called Whispering Pines, seemed like a good fit.

2475606451_4ddbd4aa03_m.jpg

I am a woodworker, and make beer in my woodshop. I am sure plenty of sawdust gets in the beer, but it all settles out with the rest of the trub :).

SawDust Brewery
"It'll give you wood!"

Kazoo Brewing!
& i can't remember exactly why....sat around one evening drinking our brew-op's first run of a dumb blonde & woke up the next morning with the red-eyed certainty that Kazoo was our flag to fly.

I am A metal head and love Brutal music. So mine is The Brewtal Brewery. My logo is in slayer' esk font. It rocks!!

I went back and forth with this actually. my first logo had the mirror image of the hand. What I settled on was the hand looks like an imprint, in say concrete or getting your fingerprint done. So you're seeing the left hand from the top.

But half my friends see a right hand and half my friends and wife see a left hand. Either way I need to get a new version so there is no question

consider that stolen.

but I'll totally give you credit for it; and I promise not to use it for anything I'll make money off of.

Evergreen Brewing, specific, but not enough to keep us in one place. :)

anybody with mad PS skills wanna help with a logo?

Barefoot Lion Brewing

Come from my BREWING partner's clan name and the lion on my family crest.

**Wow that Sig needs an update

Little Fat Dog Brew Co.

Because I have a seriously fat Beagle who's name is Bailey but also responds to "little fat dog" because that is what we refer to her as.

Don't know how I missed this thread...
3dog%20BreweryLogo_tagline_300TM.gif

So the question that always comes up is, "why are there 4 dogs?".

So, here's the story... my brewery almost got called the Branch Lake Brewery because that's the name of the street we live on. I ran it by the wife and she gave me the upturned nose look. She suggested 3 Dog Brewery since we had three dogs at the time and we were doing all sorts of "doggy preventative landscaping" to the backyard at the time. I figured if there was any way I could get my wife involved AT ALL, it would be to let her name the dang thing. Done.

So, we move to a bigger house with and much larger yard (good thing I didn't name it after the street we lived on!) and she gets this idea that we have the space for another dog and she agreed that we could get a Boxer (my favorite breed). Sold! So, now we have 4 dogs and my boxer (which has become her dog; big, baby mama's-boy) is not on the label.

I figure if they can sell a book and a movie called "The Three Musketeers" when eveyone knows there are four main characters, I can has a 4 dog label that reads "3 dog".

End of story.

I originally wanted to go with "Perfect Storm Brewing" (long story), but that's taken. So's Lighthouse. So's Barefoot. Wanted something Celtic, so after a lot of potential names that had already been taken settled on "Imbolc Brewing Co".

Imbolc is one of the Celtic spring holidays. I like spring 'cause I'm almost done shoveling snow, the boat's getting ready to go back in the water, racing season's coming around, and I can go barefoot w/o getting cold.
:mug:

Edit: Oh yeah, and Imbolc is derived from the old Irish "I mbolg" which means "in the belly". :)

Heh, you could have some Groundhog themed beers.

OMG! I can't thank you enough and me and SWMBO can't stop laughing! You don't realize it of course, but the hair and the clothes pretty much look like me as a small child. Bright red, bushy hair, that evil look in his eye! This could be the greatest logo ever! Can I have the rights to it? Do you want something for it? If yes is the answer I'll pm you my email address so you can send it to me! This is greatness and will look awesome on the bottle! I would love to use it and the SWMBO loves right!

Ducks & Dogs Brewery - I'm an avid waterfowler and I train my own dogs. (I currently have one dog with a Field Trial Pro because I'm active duty and don't have the time for it right now). I plan to name brews with waterfowl hunting themes. How do you make those logos? I'd pictured 3 labs (Yellow, Black, Chocolate) in the foreground of a marsh/swamp with birds "cupped up" behind them. The name could be either above or below.

Back