What is 'spraymalt'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surista

Reaction score
I had always just assumed that spraymalt was another word for 'dry malt extract', but today I saw an online shop that had 'spraymalt' listed separately from 'dry malt extract'.

Is there a difference, or can I assume spraymalt = dry malt extract, and use in my recipes accordingly?

It has to do with how the malt is dried.

There are two types of DME's, SPraymalt and Band Dried.

From Muntons;

Spraymalts
Spraymalts are fine powder dried malt extracts. Drying is achieved by the use of a spraydrier, a process which produces particularly uniform powders both in terms of particle size and flavour.

Spray-Extra-Dark.jpg

Spraymalts offer the user several benefits:-

* a rich malty flavour.
* a natural colouring medium
* a valuable source of fermentable sugars

In addition, Spraymalts can be weighed out with pinpoint accuracy and are ideally suited to dry-mix processes. They can be used in many of the traditional areas to replace liquid extracts.

Several interesting variations of Spraymalt are manufactured for specific applications.

We have also developed Hopped Spraymalts that offer an interesting flavour alternative for certain areas of food manufacture.

In order to ensure our Spraymalts arrive in perfect condition they are packaged in double-ply cartons of 25kg with double polythene liners for extra protection.

Muntons Spraymalts are only made from the finest 2-Row barley malt. Spraymalt Wheat is predominantly a blend of wheat malt and a smaller proportion of barley malt.

Vacuum Band Dried Products
Vacuum band dried extract differs from spraydried by being very coarse.

Band dried products are made by introducing a liquid malt extract onto a slowly moving band passing through the vacuum drying oven. Drying occurs after the circulation of hot air through this moving bed of material. The vacuum allows evaporation to happen at a lower temperature and aids the extract to 'bubble up'.

The resultant honeycomb of material is milled into a coarse powder prior to packing.

Band dried extracts offer many of the benefits associated with Spraymalts. They also contribute to the following characteristics:

* all non-diastatic
* coarse powder
* more easily soluble than Spraymalts
* additional flavour derived from 'cooking' process
* inclusion of other ingredients like milk powder, fat, sugar, whey is possible

Just when I think I know something, Revvy beats me to it. I think that's the second time today alone.

Back