Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpzep4

Reaction score
Made my first washed yeast starter 2 days ago. White Labs Burton Ale collected about 3 months ago. I use a stir plate.

I've made two starters before from WL vials and they went smooth and beer turned out good. This washed yeast took a while to get going, had no krausen, but got very cloudy and eventually (once I turned off the stir plate!) I got a good bit of yeast layer on the bottom.

I've let it go for three days because i thought you should have krausen if it was working right (found out that's not the case).

Problem is it smells like cider not beer. I know that is often a sign of infection Also looking from the side I've got a normal colored yeast layer. Looking at the bottom of my flask I see a darker brown circle of different looking material. Guess it could be break material or something.

Would you guys pitch this based on the current smell of the starter. There's still activity as I see "yeast rockets" shooting to the top of the liquid. And if you would pitch, since it's been fermenting for three days now, is it okay to pitch at the stage my yeast is in now?

Hope this makes some sense. Typing quick at work. want to brew tonight.

I would wait for it to finish out, then taste the starter beer. Keep some S-04 around for a backup.

Made my first washed yeast starter 2 days ago. White Labs Burton Ale collected about 3 months ago. I use a stir plate.

I've made two starters before from WL vials and they went smooth and beer turned out good. This washed yeast took a while to get going, had no krausen, but got very cloudy and eventually (once I turned off the stir plate!) I got a good bit of yeast layer on the bottom.

I've let it go for three days because i thought you should have krausen if it was working right (found out that's not the case).

Problem is it smells like cider not beer. I know that is often a sign of infection Also looking from the side I've got a normal colored yeast layer. Looking at the bottom of my flask I see a darker brown circle of different looking material. Guess it could be break material or something.

Would you guys pitch this based on the current smell of the starter. There's still activity as I see "yeast rockets" shooting to the top of the liquid. And if you would pitch, since it's been fermenting for three days now, is it okay to pitch at the stage my yeast is in now?

Hope this makes some sense. Typing quick at work. want to brew tonight.

Probably dead yeast from your washed stuff along with break material from your starter wort. After 3 months a significant portion of those yeast are dead - part of the reason to make a starter rather than just pitching your saved yeast. I'd follow 944play's advice and taste the beer from your starter. If you detect any off flavours toss it and use fresh yeast, liquid or dry. Don't waste your time/effort and $ invested in your wort with questionable yeast. It ain't worth it.

GT

Back