Soda stream to carbonate beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesheperd

Reaction score
So I was wondering, could you use the soda stream to carbonate your beer??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No you cant..try adding the soda concentrate and water before you carbonate....you get a bunch of fizz and a mess on your hands. This is from personal experience, the same will happen with beer

Good point.. Because you add the co2 straight to the water, ten you as the syrup..

I retract my previous statement. My apologies, maybe 15 years ago the soda maker was a bit different... Cheers

I use mine all the time. I will get a Sodastream bottle about 3/4 full before adding priming sugar. First fill the Soda stream bottles with uncarbonated beer no more than about 3/4 full. Chill until very cold. Screw on to Sodastream machine. Press CO2 button but only until the beer is stirred up a little, just briefly. If you push until the buzzer goes off it will turn into foam and rush out of the relief valve making a big mess (ask me how I know). Wait a couple of minutes then again carbonate briefly. Repeat about three times. Then wait until the beer is all settled. Raise the bottle to rlease the pressure very gently. If it begins foaming, quickly lower the bottle and wait longer, a few minutes then release. If you are careful with a little practice you can carb a bottle of beer just fine. When you are finished fill a clean Sodastream bottle with warm soapy water and screw on the Sodastream, in the sink. Carbonate until soapy water is forced out the relief valve. Forget this step and you will ruin the valves with sticky beer. Then repeat with plain warm water to rinse. That is why Sodastream is only supposed to be used to carbonate water. Kind of expensive but worth a sample or two. Good luck.

I would suggest against it for the following reasons. Soda is carbonated to at least twice the pressure of beer. And the mess factor. You would do better buying a carbonator cap, pouring your beer in a 20 oz soda bottle and getting one of the keg chargers and a small co2 cartridge. chill, add a quick burst of co2 until bottle is firm, shake, sample, repeat if needed.

I'm not going to do it because I don't have one, I was just curious to see if anyone has done it though. I am sure that would get expensive very fast if it worked tho haha

bigdaddybrew is literally the first person I have ever seen post that it works. I see these threads frequently, and they always end the same way - with tales of beer colored walls and ceilings.

Haha yeah well hey experiment error and experiment more right?:p but not by me haha

I would suggest against it for the following reasons. Soda is carbonated to at least twice the pressure of beer. And the mess factor. You would do better buying a carbonator cap, pouring your beer in a 20 oz soda bottle and getting one of the keg chargers and a small co2 cartridge. chill, add a quick burst of co2 until bottle is firm, shake, sample, repeat if needed.

I'm assuming if he had a kegging set up he wouldn't have to ask about Sodastream. It works well once you get a feel for it. I made a few messes before I got it figured out but it works for a sample or two.

Don't blame me if you get beer on the ceiling and all over the kitchen by adding too much CO2 too quickly and then quickly releasing the bottle...it will literally blast everywhere! (ask me how I know). But carefully a little at a time and you have a beer sample maker.

I'm assuming if he had a kegging set up he wouldn't have to ask about Sodastream. It works well once you get a feel for it. I made a few messes before I got it figured out but it works for a sample or two.

Didn't say anything about a kegging setup. Sounded like a quick carb was desired.
The cheap quick carb bottling way could be something along the lines of a charger with quick disconnect
charger.jpg

and a carbonator cap
the-carbonator.jpg

plus a soda bottle that will take a cap from a 2 liter or 20 oz cap and you can do the same without all the mess. chill, give it a quick burst of co2 and shake. Probably cheaper too than buying a sodastream too.

My apologies if I have offended you on the sodastream option, was just giving my opinion on a more cobbled together method. Do be wary of exploding bottles though if you go my route.

Not offended. Carbing beer with a Sodastream is expensive and potentially very messy. But it can be done. I get impatient so I grab a Sodastream bottle sample before I add the priming sugar for the rest of the batch to be bottled traditionally. I didn't think about adding the CO2 charger to the Carbonator cap. Good idea, also relatively expensive per bottle but for just a sample or two it would work. I just commented because everyone says it can't be done. It can be done but while you're learning you can make a Hell of a mess. First effort ended with beer on the ceiling. But I'm stubborn and knew there had to be away.

I am the same way. I just tend to think.... sideways. I will combine strange things and people never know how I will solve things. I think it is what makes me love homebrewing so much. There is so much redneck innovation involved. I can imagine the mess. Glad you are willing to share your experience with it. Cheers!

Haha yeah, just like home brewing I guess, him let's mix this with this.. Yuck.. Let's mix this with this and do this with the water.. Yum beer! Lol trying new things is fun (as long as theirs no mess to clean up)...

Latest posts

Back