Quick Fermenting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrelsien

Reaction score
My first batch(a lager) is fermenting right now, about to be bottled and lagered. I am a little bummed that it will be at least 2 months before I get to taste my creation at its potential.
I am anxious to start a new batch just as soon as the primary fermenter is empty. So my question is, what type of beer(I'm assuming an ale) has the shortest brew-to-drink lag time?

Why wait for the primary to be empty? Blow about $15 and get a second fermenter so you can have 2 going at once. Then brew a wheat beer as the consensus is that will get you decent beer in the shortest amount of time.

For sure! A wheat was our first go...extract kit from BB that we added some orange, clove, corriander, vanilla bean, and cinnamon to. Against everyones best advice from here we got antsy and bottled as soon as our reading was the same one day and again three days later. It's been bottled a week as of tomorrow and tested one tonight. It's already carbed ( is that unusual) and totally drinkable, I know it will only get better so we are trying to hold out and let it age a bit. Anyway...I'm hooked! Have another that's been in carboy almost a week but still fermenting away. I can see this becoming an addiction! Thanks for all your help and encouragement.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will pick up a wheat kit tomorrow.

also,

It's already carbed ( is that unusual).

I'm not sure, but I've read that if you bottle to soon it could lead to over-carbing and potentially exploding bottles, I don't know if your beer carbonating fast is a sign or normal, but you may want to keep an eye on them.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

He had the same gravity three days in a row, so no danger of bottle bombs if the readings were correct. Carbing in one week isn't that abnormal either. I'm usually about two months from boil to belly for most of the ale's I do, but I can to a wheat in 14-16 days if I really have the desire to do so.

i do a lot of hefeweizens, as they are my favorite (and some of my neighbors). i ferment them for 11 days, then keg, cool and carb. if i use the super-carb method (hook the keg to the co2 and roll underfoot), i can have it brew to belly in 2 weeks

He had the same gravity three days in a row, so no danger of bottle bombs if the readings were correct. Carbing in one week isn't that abnormal either. I'm usually about two months from boil to belly for most of the ale's I do, but I can to a wheat in 14-16 days if I really have the desire to do so.

"he" is a she...not that you would know that from my post. ;)
seems like there's not a lot of us in this hobby though. :mug:

"he" is a she...not that you would know that from my post. ;)
seems like there's not a lot of us in this hobby though. :mug:

That's cool though. Trying to get my wife to help next brew day.

She texted me last night "which of your beers do I like" because I have two cases, unmarked. She likes one and not the other. Oddly, the one she likes is the Australian Ale I did which she though tasted absolutely foul from the first 1-3 weeks in the bottle. The other is the Blonde Ale (part wheat) that I brewed specifically for her.

She identifies a particular taste in my beer when it's young (green), which she says tastes of earwax. It takes at least 3 weeks for this taste to disappear. However, it was absent from the wheat ale after 1 week, and fully carbed. So I drank that while I let the Aussie Ale sit for a while. Unfortunately I used a Belgian yeast with the Blonde wheat, and she doesn't like the flavors produced.

Anyway, to go back to being OT, wheat beers are quick and taste good.

Trying to get my wife to help next brew day.

my wife hates beer and wants no part of it. She thinks us guys out in the garage gathered around a brew kettle is just a silly man-ritual and an excuse for me to come back in the house a bit toasty. She's only half right

Latest posts

Back