Pumpkin Ale kit variation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy! I'm going to brew a pumpkin ale next weekend using an extract kit from Midwest supplies. I'd like to give it a bit more of a "pumpkin pie" flavor and was hoping some folks here would have suggestions on what I can add to the kit recipe:

6lbs Gold LME
8oz brown sugar
Grains: 8 oz Carapils, 8 oz Caramel 10L
Hops: 1 oz Mt. Hood, 1 oz Cascade
.5 tsp cinnamon, .5 tsp nutmeg
Yeast - Wyeast American Ale #1056
30oz of canned pumpkin

I'm still fairly new to brewing so any advice, even if it seems elementary, would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I had read somewhere that you use pumpkin pie from a can, like what you would use in a pie.

However no idea when you add it in or how. I am too new at it.

For my pumpkin this year I used 2 cans of organic pumpkin roasted in my oven at 350 for 15 minutes. I dumped it right in the fermenter before putting in the airlock.

For my pumpkin ale I skipped the pumpkin all together. Beer came out clearer and less heavy tasting but little flavor changed. As far as spices I use 1 full teaspoon of cinnamon nutmeg and all spice. It comes out nice and spicey.

In beer, it is very tough to get actual "pumpkin" flavor. It is really the spices that make you think of pumpkin. The addition of pumpkin doesn't add much in terms of flavor, color, or gravity points. With that said, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to brewing my pumpkin beers, and always throw in a can for authenticity's sake.

You can add it any time really. I've steeped it in my strike water, mashed with it, added it during the boil, added it into primary and added it into secondary. Now, I usually steep it in my strike water in a grain sack and chuck it before mashing in. I find using it later (mash, boil, fermentation) it leaves huge trub and creates loss of final volume. Again, this has no noticeable effect in anything in the final product!!

Spices are key to pumpkin beers. Be careful not to over spice as a little goes a long way. I use about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon? 1/4 tsp clove, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg at the end of the boil. Before packaging, I taste again and add a bit more of what I think it needs. Lighter beers like an ale will probably need less, porters or stouts I like a little heavier spicing.

Some people like a little vanilla in the mix too. This can be added after primary fermentation is complete.

If you manage to get your spices where you want them and somehow fit in a breadiness to your beer then you have done well. Some slickness from the pumpkin with managing some body to the beer with malts or adjuncts,along with some mild sweetness is an ideal pumpkin pie ale to me. I also think the good ones dont have a certain spice that stands out more than others-I find it often this happens in commercial pumpkin beers which I dont preferr.

Thanks for the great ideas everyone!

DocScott, I like the idea of adding vanilla! For a 5 gallon batch, how much would you recommend adding? Also, for bottling I've only used the sugar that comes with the kit. How much brown sugar should I use? Thanks!

Constructivist said:
Thanks for the great ideas everyone! DocScott, I like the idea of adding vanilla! For a 5 gallon batch, how much would you recommend adding? Also, for bottling I've only used the sugar that comes with the kit. How much brown sugar should I use? Thanks!

I'm not sure about the vanilla as I haven't used it recently. In terms of the brown sugar, I'd refer you to one of the online priming sugar calculators. I think northern brewers' has brown sugar on its drop down. Just plug in your volume, desired carb or beer style, and temp (which should be the temp at the end of your fermentation) and voila!

Constructivist,

For my first 5-gallon batch of Pumpkin Ale, which I was totally delighted with (and has gotten good reviews from friends and family, including a son who brews professionally). I used 1 vanilla bean cut into 1-inch lengths added about 10 minutes before the end of the boil (today I'll add two). My recipe called for 1-2 vanilla beans. The overall flavor profile was really lovely, with no overt vanilla flavor so if you want to taste it distinctly, you'd probably want more. Mine had a good spicy taste but it was understated, which was what I wanted. I used 2 4-lb pumpkins - cleaned, peeled and roasted, and then added during the mini-mash (steeped an hour at 155 with 2 lbs of 2row and 1 lb of 20crystal malt).
EDIT: today I didn't peel the pumpkin before baking, and the peel came off VERY easily after baking. I then mashed the pumpkin and put it in grain bags to steep with the grain. Baked it about 90 minutes at 350 - longer than the first time, and I think this was a good idea - pumpkin was beginning to carmelize and smelled lovely.

The spices I used were (added at 5 min. last time, and at 2 min. today):
1.5 tsp. Penzey's Pumpkin Pie Spice
.5 tsp. cinnamon
.5 tsp ginger
.25 tsp allspice

I also used 3/4 c. dark brown sugar as the priming sugar.

I am very happy with this Pumpkin Ale (which I called Monster Mash, since it was my first mini-mash).

The pumpkin contributes some mouth feel, minimal flavor and a beautiful color.

I've baked up another pumpkin and brewed another batch of this today.

Latest posts

Back