My holy hops recipe....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifthcircle

Reaction score
Decided to brew this yesterday. What do you all think? :ban:

6# light DME
.5# carapils
.5# biscuit
.5# crisp crystal 45L

.5oz Horizon @60 min
.5oz Amarillo @45 min
.5oz Centennial @30 min
1oz Simcoe @10 min
.5oz Centennial @5 min
1oz Simcoe @1 min
.5oz Amarillo @1 min

Dry hop for 14 days with
.5oz Pearle
1oz Simcoe
1oz Centennial

Yeah,that one came outta nowhere. Perle is a German hop with a smooth spiciness to it. And I'd have bittered with the Centennial & used the Amarillo for flavor.

looks hoppy! :mug: i really like horizon hops for bittering pale ales. i also like the centennial/simcoe/amarillo late, i too wouldn't do perle for a dry hop with all those citrus-y hops, it might just get overshadowed. but if that's what you're going for, great. it'll probably have some really nice, citrus/pine aroma. :rockin:

I'd move the 45 minute Amarillo forward - too precious to bitter with, IMO. I don't know the AA% of Horizon, but I'd add enough to the first addition to replace the IBUs and skip the 45 minute addition. I agree that the Perle might be a little lost here - I'm all for mixing tangy American hops with other kinds, but I think the Perle is going to be overwhelmed by the grapefruit/citrus flavor of the other hops.

Great advice guys! I will nix the perle and use it in a different recipe (suggestions for that? ).

I was just playing with lots of hops, and have never had perle, so wasn't sure what it would do for me.

Thanks again guys!!!

Update: it's in bottles. I decided to just keep the recipe as is. What the hell, right :tank:

It tastes amazing too. I cut my fermentation schedule short. 10 day primary, 7day secondary to avoid any "grassy flavors" since I had 2.5oz of hops in there. Once it mellows a bit in the bottle, it should be a really nice, citrus aromatic IPA. Gonna brew this one again for sure. Especially now that I have gone all grain :rockin:

Great advice guys! I will nix the perle and use it in a different recipe (suggestions for that? ).

I use perle in a watermelon wheat and it works really nicely. That's the beer in my avatar. Had to make two 10 gallon batches last summer - very popular with the gaggle of girls I work with.

The one you bottled sounds yummy!
:mug:

I use perle in a watermelon wheat and it works really nicely. That's the beer in my avatar. Had to make two 10 gallon batches last summer - very popular with the gaggle of girls I work with.

The one you bottled sounds yummy!
:mug:

Watermelon Wheat. Now that sounds like one outstanding summer beer!!! :mug:

Quick update. It tastes VERY close to Odell IPA. Drank them side by side, and mine has just a touch more malt base to it. So if you are looking for a good Odell IPA extract clone, this is a great one to try!

ForumRunner_20120222_171211.jpg

Looks great! Instead of the Perle Dry Hop, try an ounce of Columbus. Or just bump another ounce of one of the two hops you already dry hop with.

Looks great! Instead of the Perle Dry Hop, try an ounce of Columbus. Or just bump another ounce of one of the two hops you already dry hop with.

I haven't brewed this one again... I went all grain shortly after, and brew a different recipe every time. I will try this again with all grain and a tad more dry hop.

Columbus though, I am not sure about. I brewed a Columbus heavy IPA, and it was really dank. I am pretty shy on that hop now.

Back