General question/Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallachia

Reaction score
Hello all,

I know you get this question all the time, but I thought I'd ask since my last few brews didnt quite look like this

I'm on my third batch of beer (1st was from a kit, second was an extremely banana-y APA)

Trying again, its been about 9 days in the primary, still bubbling though I suspect this is mostly Co2 at this point, and I think it's ready to dry hop. Does this look infected to you? Or is it just krausen/floating yeast?

83G3ghO.jpg

Looks normal. Krausen, yeast rafts, and CO2 bubbles. I would wait to dry hop until fermentation is complete and CO2 is not coming out of solution. The CO2 and sediment dropping out can scrub some of the hop aroma from the beer.

Roger, as long as it's not an infection I've still got some weird banana APA to drink.

Patience was never my strong suit, but I'll grin and bear it!

While I'm waiting for a beer to finish in the primary I'll sniff the air lock. Seems to make waiting easier.

That only makes me more impatient!

Fermentation was so vigorous in this one that the krausen blew through 5 feet of 5/8 inch enough where the water lock water was fermenting a bit itself.

That only makes me more impatient!

Fermentation was so vigorous in this one that the krausen blew through 5 feet of 5/8 inch enough where the water lock water was fermenting a bit itself.

The combination of your banana flavored beer and vigorous fermenting suggest that you are fermenting your beer where it is too warm. That will give you some weird flavors, sometimes a "hot alcohol" taste, and blowoffs. Try fermenting cooler by setting your fermenter in a tub of cool water and keep the temperature of the water down by adding ice. I think you will like the results. That change in temperature made the biggest change in the taste of my beer.:ban:

Back