Crazy Concept

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I was given what I think is a great idea on keeping a brew pot insulated for BIAB mashing from shetc.

I had great problems keeping my temps steady using the stove's heat and stirring, and I did fairly well when I took an old quilt and wrapped it around the pot, but this is a bit ridiculous I think, and a pain.

So I was given the idea (he has done it himself) of buying a large plastic planting pot, wrapping the brew pot in foil, and spraying expanding foam in there. So I bought a large pot and 2 bottles of foam, and it didn't quite fill it up, but it's certainly over the point in which my mini mashes have come to. It's not as perfect fill, but I'm thinking it'll do just fine when I cover the top with that quilt.

I used some metal brackets I had to suspend the pot so that I'd get a nice layer under the pot and keep the handles up high so they can easily be grabbed.

rthp5h.jpg
[/IMG]

2lxf0v6.jpg
[/IMG]

This is a 5 gal brew pot. I don't recall the size of the planter.

I don't see why that won't work well. You're essentially recreating the beverage dispenser mash tun concept. Should hold temps fairly well, especially if you keep the top insulated well with the blanket such as you suggest.

- Tyler

I'm trying to get things cleaned and ready as I was hoping to brew today, but I got a very late start. We'll see how well it does...

What I like about this over a separate mash tun is that I don't have more to clean.

Storage may be a little of an issue for some, though it still holds the pot, but it's certainly larger and won't likely fit well in a cabinet like my pot did.

Seems like it should work, great idea!

I will offer one word of caution though. The normal spray foam stuff is highly flammable, so don't get that too close to open burners or flames.

I like it, I wonder if you could cut in half afterwards and put some hinges and "tool box" clamps to hold it shut, that would make it easier to put on.

I currently have a reflectex jacket but this might be a nice upgrade. Procedure would be to dough in, then lift mash tun up onto a piece of foam on the table, clamp this around it and put an insulated lid on top.

I went back and and checked it and it puked foam over the top and on to the lid. Now I have little bits on the lid and side.

Word of caution: Don't try to fill up too high. Do a little at a time and give it a few hours, if not more.

I have foam on my fingers, as well as on the pot to attempt to remove now...

I went back and and checked it and it puked foam over the top and on to the lid. Now I have little bits on the lid and side.

Word of caution: Don't try to fill up too high. Do a little at a time and give it a few hours, if not more.

I have foam on my fingers, as well as on the pot to attempt to remove now...

There's a version of that foam, intended for filling gaps in window and door frames. It only expands a small amount.

Edit: added link here.

I used this for my second can, which is the same color as the first can. I can only assume it was the same thing.

I jacked up my pot yesterday. Pushing it back down into the space obviously squished out some liquid foam, which made it's way through the foil folds and got on my pot.

I guess I'll just use it as a mash tun now…

Going out for a 32 qt aluminum tamale steamer...

When I first looked at your picture, I thought you were insulating the pot with a lot of well-risen bread dough.

Heck, if you bake enough, that might even work too...:cool:

Back