Corn Sugar or Cane sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OS_

Reaction score
Is there a taste difference between corn sugar &. cane sugar? Or any huge difference that will affect the beer? I’m going to be bottling my first batch of home brew this weekend, and started to second guess using cane sugar. I’d like to know which is better. Also Is powdered sugar ok to use?

For priming, either is fine. Neither are good in large quantities, but corn sugar ferments a bit cleaner than table sugar when used to boost alcohol content.

Don't use powdered sugar, as it has some anti-caking agents that could be detrimental.

I used to use corn sugar but have switched to cane for about a year now.I can't tell the difference(except for the price).I usually use 4 to 5 ozs for a 5gal batch.

FYI - Use this to calculate the priming solution.

The usage is not the same between cane & corn. According to this Cane is 100% fermentable whereas corn is only 95%

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?11684465#tag

I ran this program on a pale ale using corn and cane sugar. The difference on 5 gallons was .22 oz. of sugar. That's .22 oz. in 5 gallons. I then went in and put .22 oz. of sugar on the scale. It measures out almost exactly 1 tablespoon, to put it in perspective.

When I make beer, I like to have fun doing it. I usually drink a few beers, smoke a cigar, and generally enjoy life. Agonizing over .22 oz. of sugar and whether it is corn or cane, seems to take all the fun out of it.

I ran this program on a pale ale using corn and cane sugar. The difference on 5 gallons was .22 oz. of sugar. That's .22 oz. in 5 gallons. I then went in and put .22 oz. of sugar on the scale. It measures out almost exactly 1 tablespoon, to put it in perspective.

When I make beer, I like to have fun doing it. I usually drink a few beers, smoke a cigar, and generally enjoy life. Agonizing over .22 oz. of sugar and whether it is corn or cane, seems to take all the fun out of it.

Once you put the sugar on the scale might as well do it right. It's no harder than doing it wrong.

To each his own. The OP asked what the difference is between the two or if makes much of difference.

If one wants to obsess of this you can, some prefer not to do so. That said, I repeatedly hear people complain about poor carbonation, so my advice is to recommend that they pay attention to the quantity of priming sugar used.

The main thing to learn about this is to use weight vs volume on measuring the sugars. Density and packing will skew volume measurement which can effect how well the beer carbonates.

Obviously, you are aware of this since you use a scale. If I prime vs force carb I weigh out the sugar since I have made all the effort to ferment a batch of beer. I don't want it to be over or under carbed due to not getting the priming solution right. That's just me. I'm quite particular about what I want in carbonation and head formation.

BTW - I have fun too... I like to obsess over the little things.

neither...i prefer dme or honey (takes much longer...i just like using it)
I've used carb tabs a few times with no probs.
do they still make "kreamyX"? Always thought i'd like to give that try

neither...i prefer dme or honey (takes much longer...i just like using it)
I've used carb tabs a few times with no probs.
do they still make "kreamyX"? Always thought i'd like to give that try

I have an amber ale in a primary, and am thinking about priming it with honey. How much longer does it take to carbonate?

I primed a porter that is just about gone :mad:, with brown sugar. I couldn't tell the difference between that batch, and the last one I primed with corn sugar.

I'm obsessing, (well not really). I have Ed Wort's Robust Porter waiting to be brewed next weekend, and haven't decided on what to prime it with. I think I will go with the el cheapo cane sugar.

Read this thread....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/kreamyx-137292/

Beer with Kreamy X

Banana_Beer_002.jpg

Latest posts

Back