Belgian sasion fermenting temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee-Ryan

Reaction score
I brewed my first partial mash a Belgian saison, I've read this yeast likes higher temps to ferment (around 75f). I can get a steady temp of about 70f. Should the yeast respond well to this temp? been about 18hrs and no activity yet. Thanks in advance.

Saisons are often fermented into the low to mid 80's. The yeast will work at lower temperatures, but you won't get much of the saison character if you ferment at 70*F. If you can't get a higher ambient temp, wrap the fermenter in blankets and hope the yeast raises the temp.

I think saisons are best made in the summer around here. Winter is good for lagers and scotch ales.

What was your OG? How much and what type of yeast did you pitch?

Advice from a pro brewer on Saisons: Ferment really high, like 90-95F.

And Saison yeast can peter out after a bit and really slow down at the end.

Advice from a pro brewer on Saisons: Ferment really high, like 90-95F.

And Saison yeast can peter out after a bit and really slow down at the end.

I'm designing my first saison and planned on brewing in March/April now I am thinking that I should wait until summer or at least it gets hotter to make it easier to ferment at such high temps. What do you recommend to do if the yeast "peters out" toward the end?

Summer is my time to make Belgians also. With no AC in the house it gets high 70s during the daytime. So its perfect for High temps styles.

I'm designing my first saison and planned on brewing in March/April now I am thinking that I should wait until summer or at least it gets hotter to make it easier to ferment at such high temps. What do you recommend to do if the yeast "peters out" toward the end?

One of the problems I had when I brewed mine last year was the darn temperature went from 80+ down to about 70 just before I brewed it. But the yeast starter was ready, so I did it anyway, and tried to keep it as warm as I could.

In hindsight, I probably should have invested the $30 in a brewbelt or something.

To help it not stall out, I'd pitch a pretty good sized starter, keep the temp up, and not worry about settling the yeast until it's close to finished. If you have to swirl the yeast, then so be it. It will usually get there eventually. It just might take a couple extra weeks.

I had the advantage in kegging, where if it's not quite done fermenting, you can still put it in the keg and drink it. (I kegged mine at 6 weeks). If you are bottling, you could cause bottle bombs by being too impatient. Give the yeast time to eat up all of the sugar they can. Leaving some behind, gives the yeast more food than you really want in the bottle and the extra pressure can make them explode.

I think Saisons are very doable if you RDWHAHB and don't worry about making the beer too clear at the start of fermentation. There may be some other good tricks to helping the yeast do their thing, but I have just practiced patience. And I think there is a newer strain of Sasion yeast that isn't as finicky. I am pretty sure I used one of the White Labs vials.

Homercidal WY3711 is the strain you are talking about. It does have a lower fermententation range.

YEAST STRAIN: 3711 | French Saison
Back to Yeast Strain List

A very versatile strain that produces Saison or farmhouse style biers as well as other Belgian style beers that are highly aromatic (estery), peppery, spicy and citrusy. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel. This strain can also be used to re-start stuck fermentations or in high gravity beers.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 77-83%
Temperature Range: 65-77F 18-25C
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 12%

Styles:
Belgian Blond Ale
Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Belgian Specialty Ale
Bière de Garde
Saison

I just did a Saison using it and fermented at 72 degreees. It sure took off and bubbled like crazy for over a week. It has been in the fementer for 2 weeks now. I am going to check the gravity next week, but from what I heard about this yeast it seems to work hard.

I will give the results when I get them.

I used the wyeast 3724 in the smack pack. I moved my carboy to a warmer room and wrapped it in towels and now I'm getting some activity in my airlock. So I'm feeling a little more confident now. Lesson learned, I'm waiting till warmer temps here in Philly to brew it next time. Or invest in a belt heater for my carboy. Thanks everyone for the input. This is a great forum! I've found so much useful information and alot of positive people.

Now that I think about it, I think I used 3724 in the smack pack. I normally use White Labs, cause of the vials, but I think I tried the 3742 due to it's characteristics.

Homercidal WY3711 is the strain you are talking about. It does have a lower fermententation range.

I just did a Saison using it and fermented at 72 degreees. It sure took off and bubbled like crazy for over a week. It has been in the fementer for 2 weeks now. I am going to check the gravity next week, but from what I heard about this yeast it seems to work hard.

I will give the results when I get them.

This is an old thread, but you forgot to give results!
How did the 3711 come out fermenting at 72? Put your results so that people who stumble upon the thread months later can get some good info. :)

I am fermenting a saison with 3711 right now at about 80 degrees and its fermenting like crazy. I started fermenting in the mid 70's and warmed it up to 80 after 3 days.

This is an old thread, but you forgot to give results!
How did the 3711 come out fermenting at 72? Put your results so that people who stumble upon the thread months later can get some good info. :)

The saison came out great fermenting at 72. One of my favorite brews. Just the right amount of funk that a saison should have.

I have since done 2 other with this yeast. The sedond came out very good also fermenter a little warmer, 75 ish. The third is in the fermenter right now and it is even warmer. high 70's.

I would suggest going 4 or even5 weeks in the fermenter. This yeast does take some time to clear.

Saisons have become one of my favorite brews, along with Belgians.

Back