8 lbs of Amber LME that I need to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VipertheIV

Reaction score
While picking up ingredients for an all grain brew last Friday, dude hooked me up with 8 lbs of Amber LME that he had just drained off to make room for new LME. Question now is what do I do with it!?!? I am thinking about trying to do a RIS.

I have the following other ingredients laying around from other brews:
2 oz. Victory
2 oz. Special Roast
Some pale malt (pulled out of Hef recipe so there was more wheat than two row, not sure how much)
8 oz. Cara 8

.75 oz Cascade Pellets
1.25 oz Nugget Pellets
1.25 oz Fuggles Pellets
.5 oz Willamette whole leaf
.75 oz Chinook whole leaf
.5 oz Czech Saaz whole leaf

Planning to rack onto yeast cake of WLP001 California Ale that Bell's Best Brown Ale is currently fermenting on.

I was thinking of adding some dark brown sugar, and maybe some dark DME to it as well. I've done extract and all grain before, and have created 3 All Grain recipes so far.

Looking forward to what everyone comes up with.

Other idea is a pumpkin ale.
:rockin:

You could steep 4 oz of chocolate malt, then add 6 lbs of the amber LME, and ~22-23 IBUs worth of Fuggles hops to make a nice Northern English Brown.

I say, do a RIS, 8 lbs lme, get another 4 lbs of light/ extra light DME. Some roasted barely, choc malts and blakc patent. Nugget/ WIllamette for bittering and the Fuggles for flavor. You might have to get some more hops. I used 2 oz for bittering (60 min) and 3 oz for flavor/ aroma (30 mins and 15 mins), all Fuggles. You don't need much more for a great beer for the winter! You could add some brown sugar or molasses. The Amber lme already has some crystal in in (which one im not sure), but thats the basic ingrediants.

I say, do a RIS, 8 lbs lme, get another 4 lbs of light/ extra light DME. Some roasted barely, choc malts and blakc patent. Nugget/ WIllamette for bittering and the Fuggles for flavor. You might have to get some more hops. I used 2 oz for bittering (60 min) and 3 oz for flavor/ aroma (30 mins and 15 mins), all Fuggles. You don't need much more for a great beer for the winter! You could add some brown sugar or molasses. The Amber lme already has some crystal in in (which one im not sure), but thats the basic ingrediants.

Would I be able to use the Cara 8 and small amount of Victory and Special Roast in addition to the 4 lbs DME and chocolate you're saying to add?

if you don't want to go to the store you could make a pretty good amber with what you got.
8# amber LME
8oz cara
2oz victory
2oz special roast
1oz Nugget @60
0.25oz Nugget @15
0.75oz cascade @5

I have been leaning more toward that since my initial post and since I'm reusing yeast cake it's essentially a free beer

Ya that looks good for an amber. I'm just a huge RIS guy, so of course I try and make a RIS recipe, lol.

Back