Seasonal Brew Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hegh

Reaction score
I have been wanting to make a seasonal brew, and I suddenly realized that I was out of time and need to make it this weekend if I want to have it for Christmas (and even then, only if I force-carb). So this is what I came up with. It's based on a Sam Adams Winter Lager clone:

Grains:
6 lbs Maris Otter
4 lbs Munich
2 lbs Wheat malt
1 lb Crystal 60

Hops:
1.5 oz East Kent Goldings (~4.7%) @ 60 minutes
1.0 oz Fuggles (~4.7%) @ 2 minutes

Spices:
0.5 tsp Cinnamon @ 15 minutes
0.5 oz Fresh grated ginger @ 15 minutes
1.0 oz Bitter orange peel @ 15 minutes

Other:
1.0 tsp Irish moss @ 15 minutes
1 pkt SAFALE T-58

Estimates:
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.4%
IBU: 25
SRM: 13

Double-decoction mash at 120* (protein rest) and 149*.

I'm going for something similar to the Winter Lager, which I really like, but warmer and more... fun/interesting. The T-58 is supposed to be estery/spicy/peppery (according to the wiki). Maris Otter is a must because I decided last year that I would brew something called "Maris Otter's Jug Band Christmas Ale" or similar, in reference to the Muppet holiday special "Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas".

Does anyone see any glaringly obvious problems with this recipe? Thanks!

I am no expert recipie maker, but looks tastey to me....except for the cinnamon....hate cinnamon....hahahaha.

Also, I love the muppet reference. That is one of my older sister's all time favorites.

BTW, how long do you think this would take to do if I wanted to do it bottle conditioning wise since I have nothing to force carb.

I am no expert recipie maker, but looks tastey to me....except for the cinnamon....hate cinnamon....hahahaha.

Also, I love the muppet reference. That is one of my older sister's all time favorites.

BTW, how long do you think this would take to do if I wanted to do it bottle conditioning wise since I have nothing to force carb.

I always aim for 3 weeks, but generally it's done carbing after 1. The other two just help the CO2 dissolve better, so it has a smoother taste. This could be ready with bottle-carbing for Christmas, but it'd still be a little bit green, I think.

So this didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. I think the problem is I tried to make it too interesting. The yeast flavors are mixing badly with the spices. Next time, I'll either go with the same yeast but no spices, or with the same spices but a cleaner yeast (maybe even a lager strain).

It's drinkable, but tastes somewhat medicinal.

How long have you let it sit. Time heals a lot of brews. I have a vanilla stout that was too smokey when I made it and the smokiness tapered down significantly. It also was way too much vanilla and that has tapered also.

Another examplem, my friend brewed a batch that he described tasted like cigarette butts. he sat on it for two years and now says its wonderful.

So who knows...you may still have a winner.

How long have you let it sit. Time heals a lot of brews. I have a vanilla stout that was too smokey when I made it and the smokiness tapered down significantly. It also was way too much vanilla and that has tapered also.

Another examplem, my friend brewed a batch that he described tasted like cigarette butts. he sat on it for two years and now says its wonderful.

So who knows...you may still have a winner.

I kegged it a week before Christmas, and it's been sitting at about 38* since. It has improved, but I attribute that partially to aging and partially to being better carbonated. I haven't detected any real differences in the last week, though. I'm worried it won't last long enough to get good (if it's ever going to), though, since it's so much fun to just squeeze out a pint or two every night...

one thing I did read about citrus zest additions is that they should go in at flameout, basically any amount of boiling will zap the volatile oils that give you that orange flavor

one thing I did read about citrus zest additions is that they should go in at flameout, basically any amount of boiling will zap the volatile oils that give you that orange flavor

Interesting... Maybe I'll go with the spices and a clean yeast next time, and throw in the orange peel at flameout instead of 15 minutes.

Back