(Potentially) strange take on a witbier - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any comments/improvements on the following path to a witbier-like brew? I'm hoping the honey malt and the Citra give it a unique twist. At first glance that might look like a lot of hops, but I'm only doing a 40 minute boil so I won't get full extraction. Also, the honey malt should add some sweetness so the "extra" hops are there to balance them out. Hopville says the IBU will be under 20, which is the limit for the style.

1 lb American Two-row Pale
1 lb Belgian Wheat Malt
0.5 lb Honey Malt
4.75 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract

Hops:
0.4 oz Citra @ 40 mins
0.25 oz Citra @ 10 mins
0.25 oz Citra @ 1 min
(Note: boil is only 40 minutes)

1 oz Coriander, Cracked
1 oz Orange Peel, Bitter

Wyeast Belgian Witbier (3944) (or some other wheat yeast)

6 oz Honey, Orange Blossom (bottling, optional)

OG 1.047
FG 1.012
19.5 IBU
4.7% ABV / 4% ABW

NOTES:
Do a partial mash of the honey malt, wheat malt and 2-row: 30 mins @ 148-152 F, in 1.5 gal of water. Heat another 1.5 gal in a second pot. after 30 mins, remove the grains from the main pot, let drain, then dunk into the second sparge pot which should be kept a little warmer, around 160 F (but don't go over 170 F). Let sit for about 10 mins, then dunk/withdraw a few times and let drip. Discard grains and add the sparge water to the main pot. Add one third of the wheat LME and do a 40 minute boil, adding hops at 40, 10 and 1 minute. Add orange peel at 5 minutes (fresh peel preferred). 1 oz of lightly crushed coriander added at 1 minute for some spiciness. Add remaining LME at flame-out. Transfer to primary fermenter, top up with water to make 5 gal, cool to 70 F and pitch yeast. Primary fermentation only, secondary not required. Optional: use honey for bottling, otherwise use corn sugar. Should be a relatively quick one - should be drinkable in 3-4 weeks after boil.

Recipe on Hopville: http://hopville.com/recipe/1112443/witbier-recipes/pseudo-wit-ty (which is also the source of the OG, FG and ABV numbers - I haven't made this one yet, but am planning to this weekend)

All feedback appreciated - thank you!

That actually looks pretty awesome. Normally I'd be worried about the high-alpha hops overwhelming the subtle spiciness that you'll get from Belgian blonde yeasts, but in those amounts it looks like it will be fairly well balanced. Don't forget to post how it turns out!

thanks! i've created a 4-gallon version on hopville and will be making that on sunday.

i might try a slightly stronger, more flavorful wheat-type yeast. not sure which one yet, i'll ask the local brew-supply pushers if they have any recommendations.

Back