Black IPA recipe modification help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejearn

Reaction score
Hey all, I just ordered a Black IPA recipe from Northern Brewer:

11.5 lb Rahr 2-row
0.5 lb Briess Caramel 80L
0.25 lb Weyermann Dehusked Carafa 3
0.25 lb Simpsons Chocolate malt
1 oz Summit (60)
1 oz Simcoe (1%)
1 oz Centennial (10)
1 oz cascade (5) 1 oz Amarillo (0)
1 lb Corn Sugar (0)
1 oz Ahtanum (dry hop)

I am really excited about this recipe; however, I have a few grains left over from previous brews that I might add just to get rid of em' or to make the beer more interesting (not that it won't be interesting enough), including:

0.75 lb carahell
0.3 lb carafoam
~1 lb flaked oats.

Anybody have any recommendations on how to incorporate the extra grains? I am thinking that the carafoam won't make a huge difference, so might as well use it for a bit more head retention; the carahel will certainly give it more body, but maybe it will have enough body already? The oats might be fun to give it a silky texture like an oatmeal stout. i could roast the oats a bit before mashing...

I would love to hear peoples input on how they think these additions will change the final product. Thanks for your feedback!
:mug:

Why not just keep the grains and start storing them? I keep them in 1-3gallon plastic containers. When I notice I am getting low I buy 1-3lbs more to restock.

Hey all, I just ordered a Black IPA recipe from Northern Brewer:

11.5 lb Rahr 2-row
0.5 lb Briess Caramel 80L
0.25 lb Weyermann Dehusked Carafa 3
0.25 lb Simpsons Chocolate malt
1 oz Summit (60)
1 oz Simcoe (1%)
1 oz Centennial (10)
1 oz cascade (5) 1 oz Amarillo (0)
1 lb Corn Sugar (0)
1 oz Ahtanum (dry hop)

I am really excited about this recipe; however, I have a few grains left over from previous brews that I might add just to get rid of em' or to make the beer more interesting (not that it won't be interesting enough), including:

0.75 lb carahell
0.3 lb carafoam
~1 lb flaked oats.

Anybody have any recommendations on how to incorporate the extra grains? I am thinking that the carafoam won't make a huge difference, so might as well use it for a bit more head retention; the carahel will certainly give it more body, but maybe it will have enough body already? The oats might be fun to give it a silky texture like an oatmeal stout. i could roast the oats a bit before mashing...

I would love to hear peoples input on how they think these additions will change the final product. Thanks for your feedback!
:mug:

Love the recipe and the way you are thinking. Personally, I made a quite similar beer 4 days ago...during the mash I couldn't help but grab the quaker rolled oats and throw about 8 oz in.

Why not just keep the grains and start storing them? I keep them in 1-3gallon plastic containers. When I notice I am getting low I buy 1-3lbs more to restock.

I don't mind storing them, hence why I have them in the first place. Before I ordered the black IPA recipe I was planning on making an oatmeal stout, but when I read the black recipe, I had to try it. Then I got thinking, why not do a black ipa with oatmeal??

I don't mind storing them, hence why I have them in the first place. Before I ordered the black IPA recipe I was planning on making an oatmeal stout, but when I read the black recipe, I had to try it. Then I got thinking, why not do a black ipa with oatmeal??

At that point you would be producing more of a hoppy stout then a black IPA. A lot of people tend to want to screw with a recipe too much to make it their own, myself included. A black IPA is a great beer that I would brew by the kit. If you like the general way it tastes, but want something different, then buy all the materials seperately and tweek a few things to know where it started and where you are going with it.

I agree with the above comment. Oatmeal doesn't really fit a Black IPA, that already looks like a stellar recipe.

C'mon guys... Give the region the credit they deserve for growing all our hops and call it a Cascadian Dark Ale. They don't care where you brew it. Hell, mine is a Yankee Killer Texas CDA!!!

BTW, I think there isn't enough of any of the grains you mentioned to screw up the recipe so go for it! IMO, you are right, you will just get better head, better body, and a smoother texture...:D

C'mon guys... Give the region the credit they deserve for growing all our hops and call it a Cascadian Dark Ale. They don't care where you brew it. Hell, mine is a Yankee Killer Texas CDA!!!

BTW, I think there isn't enough of any of the grains you mentioned to screw up the recipe so go for it! IMO, you are right, you will just get better head, better body, and a smoother texture...:D

The name Cascadian was actually dropped because it sounded to regional, the accepted name is actually American Style Black Ale by the GABF.

The name Cascadian was actually dropped because it sounded to regional, the accepted name is actually American Style Black Ale by the GABF.

I know...and GABF got it wrong. Too regional? What, like Pilsner? I grew up in the NW and now that I live abroad :)D) I think its only right to pay homage to the hoppy American motherland that is Cascadia. IPA, IIPA, DIPA, BIPA...Bahh, humbug!!! Long live CDA:rockin:

:off:

My apologies to the OP for the hijack, just a pet peave. We now return our readers to their regularly scheduled programming...

I'm not too worried about staying true to style; if I end up with more of an IPA stout, that would be fine. A lot of "black IPA's" I've had just taste like IPA with almost no roasted flavor, and I would like to have a bit more roasted flavor in my recipe.

So my current thinking is why not roast the oats a bit?

I've never roasted oats, does anyone have any suggestions? Temp, time?

Also, should I be concerned about having enough diastatic power or a stuck mash if I add say 0.5 lb carahel, 0.3 lb carafoam and maybe 0.5 to 1 lb roasted oats?

I am guessing that the 11.5 lb of rahr 2-row should get the job done....

Back