2 Row Malt - Canada vs U.S. vs U.K.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCookieMonster

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 'Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain'

All I can get is Canadian 2-Row or American.

What are the difference between these barleys and how will it affect the final recipe if I dont use the stuff from the UK?

Thanks!

Depending on what you're making, US/Canadian pale malt should be just fine. Many of the British barleys are seen as slightly special among homebrewers, and often have a nuttier flavor than the N. American versions. Bitters, mild ale, English browns, and Scotch ales are often good occasions to use UK malts.

This nutty flavor thing is interesting to me. Could one add say an ounce of Victory malt with the US 2 row and accomplish the same thing? Or is it a different kind of nutty?

I've used Maris Otter, but unfortunately I'm new to all-grain and all my MO batches are in the primary or secondary.

Best thing to do is go to your local LHBS and grab a bit of grain and chew. Decide if the differences are worth it to you. One of the advantages of having a good LHBS instead of mail order grains.

Although I can taste the difference by eating the grains, with hoppy beers I can't tell them apart when brewed. In a lightly hopped malty beer it changes the end product, better or worse you have to decide on your own.

Thanks guys yes it's a British brown ale and it actually already has victory hops added to it.

I'm in Canada and it costs a lot to order 9lbs worth of 2 row. I can get it locally but it wont be British.. that's the only problem..

Thanks guys yes it's a British brown ale and it actually already has victory hops added to it.

I'm in Canada and it costs a lot to order 9lbs worth of 2 row. I can get it locally but it wont be British.. that's the only problem..

In my mind, domestic 2-row and British pale ale malts taste, and especially, smell quite different. You can make a good English ale without a British-style base male (like Marris Otter pale malt), but it won't have that same malty character.

Why don't you just get some Marris Otter from homebrew-supplies.ca? They are in Brampton, and I bet you could pick up your order if you have a car to get you there.

In my mind, domestic 2-row and British pale ale malts taste, and especially, smell quite different. You can make a good English ale without a British-style base male (like Marris Otter pale malt), but it won't have that same malty character.

Why don't you just get some Marris Otter from homebrew-supplies.ca? They are in Brampton, and I bet you could pick up your order if you have a car to get you there.

WOW DIDN'T KNOW THAT PLACE EXISTED! NICE!

I'm going to visit thanks for the tip!! WOWEE

Back