Priming sugar in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I put some priming sugar in my keg because my co2 lines were all being used. Also I never done it before do I thought I would give it a try.

I had the extract recipe from Northernbrewer called chinook ipa. I put 4 ounces of priming sugar in the keg, which after I did I thought I had messed up. I read a little and it really seemed like I put too much in.

I waited 2 weeks, let it chill, purged the keg, set it to about 6psi, poured..........

Nothing but perfection.

The carbonation was perfect and the beer tasted great.

Just wanted I let ya know. Priming sugar in the keg works just fine.

Yeah I'm doing 2 oz from now on to keep men on deck and to save on co2 fills. Coffee mug, 2 oz corn sugar, 3/4 cup di, microwave for 1.5, freezer for 5 and pour.:)

That's a big 10-4 Kmcogar.

I usually force carbonate and recently primed a keg of a Red Tail Ale Clone (since they bottle condition RTA). It turned out amazing! The first pint was cloudy and then the rest has been clear.....well clear for a green beer. I guess the only downside would be the wait. I was drinking a forced-carbonated IPA that I had brewed a week after the RTA while I was waiting for the RTA to naturally carbonate.

I put some priming sugar in my keg because my co2 lines were all being used. Also I never done it before do I thought I would give it a try.

I had the extract recipe from Northernbrewer called chinook ipa. I put 4 ounces of priming sugar in the keg, which after I did I thought I had messed up. I read a little and it really seemed like I put too much in.

Nothing but perfection.

The carbonation was perfect and the beer tasted great.

It seems to go back and forth about the amount of sugar needed, some saying half the regular amount. My own experience is that the same amount as I would use in bottling is fine. Yours seems to show that as well. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back