Party Pig??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They work great. Some of the local brewers rent them out as well, if a person doesn't want a pony keg or isn't setup with cornies.

Aye, the Party Pig is the best! A fine solution if you're tired of bottles. Unfortunately, due to limited fridge space, I no longer use one, but back in the day, I'd "Pig" half and bottle half of a batch of beer. Worth the investment. Just remember that for each time you use the Pig, you'll need a pressure pouch. 'Bout $3.50 or $4.50 per pouch, but worth it when you consider the time and effort to fill 25 or so bottles.

Agree 100%, the pig works as advertised, as with the other guy, I use it to cut my bottling in half. I've pigged 2 batches so far and have been very happy with the results.

mnavarra said:
...Just remember that for each time you use the Pig, you'll need a pressure pouch. 'Bout $3.50 or $4.50 per pouch...
Here is a simple mod that has worked for me:

16.00 tire inflater and a 1.00 Co2 Cart that I am still using the same one after several dispenses (by no means condoned by Quoin!)

Drill and tap with 1/8 pipe tap and use a 1/8 tank valve, not the easiest to find in a retail store but no issue at McMaster
DCP_8222%20(Small).JPG

Use a bike Co2 inflater, but watch the pressure - these pack the same pressure as the big boys but there is no regulator!
DCP_8230%20(Small).JPG

For using my regular Co2 bottle
DCP_8246%20(Small).JPG

Cool mod.. did you put a pressure gauge on the Pig anywhere? I'm curious as to how much pressure is required and, more inportantly, how much is too much?

Never used a pig before, but I use my old "beer machine" in the same way. I just prime it and then use the little CO2 fitting to keep pressure once we get half down. As for pressure, mine works best with about 7psi. And less and its pours slow with littl head. Much more and it blows out like a fire hose.

-Todd

I posted yesterday about my first experience with a pig. I am so glad I saw this and read the mod part. I wonder, with the bike CO2 pump do you just jet when needed? You said it last several dispenses? Looking at the pig in front of me I don't see how you would get the beer without tipping towards the tap or making a pickup manifold (tubing to the bottom). I am debating buying two of these before i leave Lubbock and wondered about/how you guys that do use them. I am planning on filling with carbonated beer and purging before serving. Is that possible with the mod mentioned above? i guess just tell me more about it if you would cause i don't want to take my friends apart to see, lol.

I've used the party pig for a few years now and like them.
the bag is expensive and i just had one fail after filling the first sealed potch inside.
so i had to rig up a CO2 to get the beer out trying to keep it around 15 psi beer hasn't gone flat yet.
your idea has me thinking so i'm going to try and make a set up with CO2 and tap on the front instead of using their tap.
I also made a way to fill the party pig from a 5 gallon key so it's clean with no sedement.
i can post photos in anyone is interested.

Someone at work is trying to sell me two of these, I think he used them only a few times in the last couple years.

Is there any O-ring kit or any rebuilding these require?

Sorry, I am new to the "pig" idea and have never really looked at them to see how they work.

Thanks,
David

i know they sell the tap part and that comes with rubber washer,
you may be able to cut your own.

The only down side to the party pig is if you use sugar to carbonate the beer as you get sediment at the end and if you shake it.
I carbonate in a 5 gal keg first then transfer and it's great and clean.
the CO2 pouches are $4 to 5 dollars
there is a big cool factor going to a party with one. everyone wants to try it.

I've got alot of learning to do, I thought the co2 pouches were supposed to carbonate the beer. Guess I'd better look into this.

Seem to be getting a good deal though, $10 for 2 party pigs and one pouch. It all looks like it's in good shape too.

I've got alot of learning to do, I thought the co2 pouches were supposed to carbonate the beer. Guess I'd better look into this.

Seem to be getting a good deal though, $10 for 2 party pigs and one pouch. It all looks like it's in good shape too.

The pouch does NOT provide CO2. It mearly takes up space in the pig as the beer drains and maintains the pressure. Usually you would prime the pig to carbonate.

$10 for 2 pigs and a pouch is a great deal. I have seen the taps and o-rings sold independently so you can replace any parts that may need it. The design is very simple and it should last for many uses without the need for additional parts. If you did not receive a pump with the pigs you will need one for activating the pouches. Welcome To The Pig Farm! has the instructions and you can order most of the parts from there. You will also need a stand to hold the pig stead while you fill it. They sell one or you can cut down the box it came in.

Craig

Got the pump with the pigs. Thanks for the link, very resourcefull! Now to make something to fill them with.....

Thanks for the info guys!
David

Since whodwho hasn't logged on in over 2 years, has anyone else done anything like this with the pigs? I already have a small co2 tank and regulator, so buying a $2 schrader valve would be a great fix rather than having to buy the replacement co2 pig sacks. The only problem I can think of would be the lack of a diptube, but if for some reason the gas doesn't push the beer directly to the tap you could just tip it a bit to pour it.

If anyone has done this let us know, otherwise I'll be doing it as soon as I use up my last co2 bag...and I'll be sure to post pics and whatnot.

I have not tried it yet but I am going to build one today when i get home from work. I am going to super carbonate a beer that is currently in a keg and then fill the pig after I install the shrader valve of course. I am hoping to use these at the lake on Mem. Day. We shall see. Have you built yours yet, pizzaman?

has anyone else done anything like this with the pigs?

Yes, I just built one last night and it weems to work great. I did exactly what whodwho did using all of the pig original hardware and filled it wil water then pressurized it to check for leaks. Right now the pig is holding pressure full of water, tonight if there are still no leaks when I get home I will fill the pig with pre-carbonated beer from a keg, then pressureize and chill the pig. I will keep you all posted but as of now it looks like a great idea and seems to work great!

I have not modified mine and kudos to the person who posted those pics..I did use it for a few batches. Here are some tips:

1. Follow the priming sugar instruction exactly - I thought in my head I'll just add the priming sugar to the bucket..rack it and then throw 2 gallons in the party pig. You will get excess foam if you do it this way..The pig needs less sugar than you would expect.

2. The pouches work great but they do have an expiration date on them. I believe they are fresh for about 6 months. I bought 3 and I don't brew that often so by the time I got to the last one it didn't work as well. It held pressure but just enough so the beer didn't go flat which was good but you had to tilt it to get the beer out. That's not how its supposed to work of course.

3. This is extremely important and instructoins say this but I want to re-iterate..Lets just say I know someone who did this..lol..When you are done with the beer in it and you start to unscrew the screws you have to pop the pressure pouch before you unscrew them all the way. Just unscrew them enough so you can get a wire hanger in there or a knife. If not you will hear a huge boom while you are unscrewing it and the metal bracket will shoot across the room. I'm lucky it was turned away from him when he tried this.

I have a pig and I decided to try it out. I followed all of the instructions and I have way over carbonated beer. I used 1/4 cup of priming sugar. They say to use 1/4-1/3 cup.

Can I just tip the pig up and bleed off some Co2?

I don't think it will work that well..As soon as you try to bleed the co2 out I believe the beer will start to come out. I noticed that the first beer always has excessive foam but the next one seems to be ok. If you go back the next day the same thing will happen. What style of beer was it? Did it hit its final gravity?

I made a porter, it was BM black pearl porter. I don't have the numbers with me but I'm sure they where right around BM's numbers. I will check my numbers and edit this.

I finally got a chance to have a full glass off the pig and it is still all foam. Second glass was foam also.

It finished at 1.018 and I used 1/4 priming sugar.

the beer is coming out a little slower but it is still all foam.

Back