Keg Poppet & Post Design Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xinunix

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows the "trick" for removing the poppet valves that have the legs that wedge into the lip of the post (good image about mid way down in this post): Poppet Valve Image.

Just got my first 2 kegs and sure enough one of them is like this, the other has the poppets that just drop right out.

Really don't want to break it pushing it out but also really want to clean it properly!

I also found this post from the cleaning/sanitation forum but it doesn't really provide an answer for how to get these out without breaking them.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm just getting to know my new (30 year old) Firestone Corny Keg that I got the other day. It was apparently refurbished, but the thing reeks of coca-cola and it came with replacement o-rings for the top of the posts, the dip tubes, and the main seal. The main seal one looks ok but I think I want to replace all of them after seeing the rest. I got one of the poppets out of the post and that o-ring looks pretty crusty too.

My question is - where can I find new o-rings for the poppets, or should I just be looking at getting new poppets?

You should order new poppets - you can get them at you LHBS or online.

I had the opposite problem of you where I could not get the poppet to lock back in. My LHBS told me they dont need to lock back in because they are meant to sit on top of the tube. He told me they will lock back in when you tighten them down.

Back