pineapfelwien?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuffalupagus

Reaction score
Ok you experienced brewmisters.

what happens if you pitch a champagne yeast into Pineapple juice with a bit of extra sugar?

if no one has an awnswer, I'll have one in about a month or so after my gallon jug stoppers show up next week. I'll do a gallon. (unless someone here who has tried this and discovered new realms of foulness :eek: says it's a lost cause)

I've made a few pineapple wines, and so I feel up to answering this one with my experience. The first time I attempted a pineapple wine, I did just what you describe; took some pineapple juice, added some sugar to it and pitched the yeast (I used cote de blancs). The result of this was a very acidic and strong pineapple wine, far too acidic as a matter of fact, and the only way I can drink it is to put a bit of water in the bottom of the glass then pour the wine into it, the result of this is quite tasty.

Going into my second (and current) recipe with some more experience in the matter I took a few precautions. First, I filled the carboy about 1/6 of the way with pre-boiled and cooled water, to dillute the pineapple juice and resulting acid. I also used the Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast, as during the fermentation process it metabolizes some amount of malic acid (the acid found in pineapple). Also for added nose I added some fresh pineapple chunks into the secondary, which lends more fresh pineapple goodness to the wine. This wine turned out great, one of the best I've done. So here it is in short.

Fill carboy 1/6 of the way with water (preboiled and cooled to be steril)
Use lalvin 71B-1122 to eat away some of the acid

The fruit in secondary is an option, but I've found it adds alot to the wine. Good luck, pineapple wine is good stuff, and pairs excelantly with some nice spicy curry or thai food.

tepache, by my understanding is actually made by letting pineapple naturally ferment for a few days in open jugs or barrels after mashing it and adding water and sugar, drinking it quite fresh. It's an aquired taste, as it's quite sweet and yeasty, but doesn't keep. I'd really classify it as more of a party cider-like drink than a wine.

Edit After looking it up from being curious I found this: Tepache - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's made differently in different areas, I had mine without the beer. Either way, it's not what I'd consiter a wine per se.

Ha! Joke's on you guys (and Yooper). Everyone knows Snuffalupagus can only be seen by Big Bird.

So...

I guess using two cans of Dole's frozen concentrated pineapple juice in a one gallon test batch, along with a cup of sugar (A LA the Apfelwein method) will be a train wreck, huh?

Pogo

So...

I guess using two cans of Dole's frozen concentrated pineapple juice in a one gallon test batch, along with a cup of sugar (A LA the Apfelwein method) will be a train wreck, huh?

Pogo

Not at all, just use Lalvin 71B-1122 as your yeast, when you secondary make sure you top off with water (this will dilute it just enough I think) and let it age out at least 4 months. This should turn out a-ok.

Thanks, Freezeblade -

I picked up two cans of Dole's pineapple juice, as an after thought, while loading up on Welch's concentrate last week.

My LHBS was out of my, try first when in doubt, EC-1118, so I grabbed a mixed fist full of 71B's and K1-V's, so I'm already primed and ready.

Thanks again!

Pogo

wish I had asked this question bef0re I made my most recent order for my Internet HBS, I don't have a local supply of the Lavlin yeast you specify.
I do have a good supply of EC-1118 though.

I'm probably going to use a Pineapple juice that is produced localy from a rather unique variety of the fruit. The "Maui Gold" variety - this particular pineapple (unlike the breed that dole uses... the Dole company no longer grows in Hawaii by the way) the Maui Gold pineapple is bred to be a VERY low acid and sweeter than other varieties.
with this breed of juice I may be able to get away with using the yeast I have on hand with less water for dilution.
or maybe not... we'll just have to see.

for ****s and giggles I may rack the secondary onto some localy libberated (ie: stolen in a midnight aquisition run) Lillikoi pulp from someone's yard in Hana. Lillikoi is known on the mainland by it's more common name: passion fruit. which grows wild around here on the moist side of the island.:ban:

Back