Side by Side Fridge Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmward21

Reaction score
I wanted to share my recent kegerator creation. There are endless options on how to create a kegerator so I designed my own kit to fit what I want. I started homebrewing so I wanted 2 taps for home brew but I also wanted commercial beer. I added a 3rd tap for that. I purchased the sankey to ball lock conversion kit so if I get my hands on a 1/6 or 1/4 barrel I will not need to modify any of my beer/gas lines.

To start off, I'll layout my equipment:
5lb CO2 tank
Dual Pressure regulator (serving and carbing at the same time)
3 way manifold with shutoffs
4x sets of ball lock fittings.
tubing and clamps.
3x corny kegs
sankey coupler
sankey to ball lock conversion
3x faucets with 4-1/8" shanks
drip tray

Tank, regulator and manifold
15840715078_e7d5844c72_c.jpg

I first laid out the height of the shelves to determine how I could fit the kegs into the fridge. The bottom will hold the CO2 tank plus a 1/6 or 1/4 barrel. The middle shelf will hold 3 cornies (2 on tap, 1 on carb/standby). The top shelf will hold bottles.
15840888770_4b4ab9fede_c.jpg

Next up was making the middle shelf. The 150 pounds of 3 full cornies isn't something to ignore. I modified the existing shelf bracket by notching 2x2 pine to be flush with the top of the shelf. I then added 2 brackets on the front side of the shelf to support it on all corners.
16027453402_0f58f64dd7_c.jpg

15840888070_80273ee780_c.jpg

View showing the supports:
15840887940_dd671e4c63_c.jpg

Everything but the 1/4 barrel.
15842392217_952cf1261c_c.jpg

In case you are wondering to why I don't put 4 cornies on the middle shelf, I need the room for the sankey couple and beer line for the 1/4 barrel. I may have to modify the shelf once I get one and can actual set it in place.

Outside View: I have also added chalk board paint above the faucets so I can identify the beer.
15842085539_08cfb7a63c_c.jpg

The inside as of today. I need more beer. This keg looks so lonely:
16002364476_7d898dce6f_c.jpg

If anyone has questions I am more than happy to give details on parts, alterations, and/or costs.

I got all my info from searching this forum, but it took a while to decide what I wanted and the exact parts to purchase. Any rate, let me know what you think.

:mug:
Justin

I wanted to show the final touches.

Current Keg arrangement. I bought a 1/4 of bud for a new years party. I already have plans to add 3 more faucets and replace the bud with 4 more cornies!!!
16219830026_f361d1f815_z.jpg

Chalk board paint was a simple and easy add.
15625786973_e3cc418080_z.jpg

I've also bought a 20# CO2 tank. So I need to drill some mores hole in the fridge to run the lines from the outside.

Ha! Now I just have to wait to move, and I'll be on the hunt for a side by side to do this. Now, what do you use the freezer side for? Hops/grain storage or as a nice temp controlled fermenter? Seems like it could hold at least 2 fermenters (prob have to be kegs, not sure a better bottle could fit, but still.....)

Ha! Now I just have to wait to move, and I'll be on the hunt for a side by side to do this. Now, what do you use the freezer side for? Hops/grain storage or as a nice temp controlled fermenter? Seems like it could hold at least 2 fermenters (prob have to be kegs, not sure a better bottle could fit, but still.....)

I actually just use it for freezer overflow... Hopefully this spring I will split a 1/2 cow with my dad and I will store all my soon to be delicious steaks/burgers in there. Beer and steak, the best fridge ever. :)

I'm also building a fermentation chamber. The link in my sig will show you that design. I got all the materials now I just need to finish putting it together. It's so cold I don't want to go outside to cut the wood.

I've made 25 gal of beer in the last 7 weeks. 10 gallons have been drank. Tomorrow, I'll keg an Irish red and transfer my Milk Oatmeal stout to a secondary with vanilla and cocoa. I pretty much spent my holidays researching home brew and home brew related topics. I've caught the bug.

:mug:

Ha! As they say, welcome to the addiction! Got half cow, one small hog in chest freezer. Plus about 5 sets of grains ready to brew, with all associated hops, plus extra. I'll check out the details of the build when I get ready to do it. I'm likin the side x side version a lot, seems more accessible than a chest or even the top freezer types. Looks like ya did a good job with it, clean, functional, and most importantly DIY!

Are those 5 gal corny kegs or 2.5 gal?
Looks great BTW

They are 5 gallon ball lock conversions (old coke kegs that have had the pin locks replaced with ball locks). Just in case you don't know the difference, coke kegs (pin lock) are short and fat while pepsi kegs (ball lock) are tall and skinny. I need the short kegs to fit in my side by side and still have room for the shelf up top. I wanted ball locks just because it seems to be the norm.

**UPDATE**

I recently upgraded from 3 to 5 faucets with the middle being on Nitro. The wife doesn't like all the tanks, but she likes the beer.

17617357636_178c2a923d_z.jpg

17617357096_74dfa7d76b_z.jpg

17023324393_9feb732de6_z.jpg

And to complete the ultimate fridge conversion, I filled the freezer with 136 lbs of black angus beef (1/4 beef).
17617355846_8bde25b3bb_z.jpg

Also, I didn't like the chalk board paint so it was replaced with cut, peel, and stick white board.

Back