Jockey Box Build - Vintage Thermos Ice Chest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
Putting this here since it is a serving device...

This weekend I followed through on a threat and actually built this Jockey Box I've been planning for a while. TONS of credit goes out to my buddy Jimmy Big Ears! He is a stainless coiling machine!
The stainless coils well but is certainly in need of backing by a "mandrel" and in this case, a few diameters of PVC are a perfect match. The first mandrel that formed the inner core was a 4" pvc. The notch in the end is to secure a hook and make the coiling process much easier.

Photo 1 - wrapping the coil around a 4" PVC mandrel.
Jocket-Box-Build%2001.jpg

Photo 2 - Inside view (notice the hook)
Jocket-Box-Build%2002.jpg

Photo 3 - After about 20 coils, we made a small bend to catch the opening on the larger mandrel.
Jocket-Box-Build%2003.jpg

Photo 4 - More bending...
Jocket-Box-Build%2004.jpg

Photo 5 - The small coil inside the large mandrel with the hook engaged
Jocket-Box-Build%2005.jpg

Photo 6 - Another shot of the larger coil bend starting to take shape.
Jocket-Box-Build%2006.jpg

Photo 7 - Both coils in the ice chest with the 3/8 compression x 1/4" Barb fittings installed.
Jocket-Box-Build%2007.jpg

Photo 8 - Drilling holes in the back for the 1/4" Flare x 1/4" Flare bulkhead.
Jocket-Box-Build%2008.jpg

Photo 9 - Drilling the shank holes in the front.
Jocket-Box-Build%2009.jpg

Photo 10 - Shanks and taps installed
Jocket-Box-Build%2010.jpg

Photo 11 - Lid opened up to show inside
Jocket-Box-Build%2011.jpg

Photo 12 - Starting to get this thing Stickered up! Front side...
Jocket-Box-Build%2012.jpg

It's bad to mix copper with alcohol... There are some with much more chemical knowledge than myself, maybe they'll speak up. Apparently, it can, and will produce a compound that is poison. I don't like poison...

Plus... all that Stainless tubing was FREE!

Interesting, did not know about that! Which is good for me cause I've been debating doing something similar after by counterflow chiller build went so well. Also Free is always nice, especially when it comes to stainless :D

Edit: Not that I know THAT much about it but lots of people build stills out of copper and that is usually pretty near pure ethanol...

Edit of the Edit: For anyone else wondering: it is the acidity not the alcohol that is the issue, copper gets leached by the low PH of fermented and carbonated beer. For anyone wondering why this isn't an issue for counter-flow chillers, apparently yeast metabolize copper.

About to build my own nostalgic jockey box so this is a cool thread to find.
I was wondering why you chose to install the 1/4"x1/4" flare fittings instead of just connecting your beer tubing directly to your coils and running them out the back through drilled holes?

That makes a firm bulkhead. Though I need to add some washers to firm that up. It also give a chaff-proof pass thorugh the drilled metal wall of the cooler. Without it, eventually that metal edge would cut your serving line. Look around, there are shorter versions of that flare x flare fitting out there.

It's bad to mix copper with alcohol... There are some with much more chemical knowledge than myself, maybe they'll speak up. Apparently, it can, and will produce a compound that is poison. I don't like poison...

Plus... all that Stainless tubing was FREE!

This isn't exactly true. Copper is relatively inert, and will do nothing to wort or beer. When it is heavily oxidized, it can produce verdigris (greenish blue compound, what gives the Statue of Liberty it's color). Verdigris is soluble in beer, and poisonous. However, as long as you clean your jockey box coil properly, it would be fine to use copper.

This isn't exactly true. Copper is relatively inert, and will do nothing to wort or beer. When it is heavily oxidized, it can produce verdigris (greenish blue compound, what gives the Statue of Liberty it's color). Verdigris is soluble in beer, and poisonous. However, as long as you clean your jockey box coil properly, it would be fine to use copper.

Do what you want man... I won't recommend anyone use copper in contact with alcohol. Of course it doesn't hurt to use it in wort... that's pretty apparent by this point in brewing history... There's a LOT of old copper brew houses still in use.

I can't believe you coiled that by hand. You must be "strong like bull". It looks good
Mine and my buddies arms felt like Jelly afterwards, but it was manageable.

What size (diameter) and length of tubing did you use ?

The tubing was all 3/8" OD (outside diameter). Each coil has about 50 feet in it. Maybe even up to 75 feet. He had a large coil of the stuff and we split it in half and started coiling. He gets remnant coils of this Stainless tubing from his work that has no use for "such short remnants"... haha! :D

Back