☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This coffee bean was some Brazil blah blah dry-process Peaberry beans. These beans were very small and round. And, once roasted, they pretty much stayed in that small round shape. I'm going to make some of this tomorrow. You can compare the following picture the one a few posts back.

_mg_8017-62323.jpg

Beautiful! I love me some peaberry, especially Tanzanian. The roundness makes for a smooth roast, they just roll around!

Edit: great roast btw, the wrinkles are just barely smoothed out, in a day or two that's gonna be a real nice cup

I stumbled onto this thread on Saturday morning. After combing through the 9 pages before the kids got up I already knew what I was going to do Sunday.

There is a local coffee roaster that is also a home brewer. He and I met as he was getting into brewing. I thought of him as soon as I started looking over this thread. I gave Rick a call and told him I was interested in green beans to experiment with roasting. He met me at his shop on Sunday afternoon and let me pick what I wanted out of what seemed like a hundred bags/barrels of assorted coffees from all over the world. I picked out some blends he freshly roasted as well just to sample. The beautifully painted roaster in his shop was pretty awesome as well.

Picked up some Columbian because they were cheap and they are what I experimented with first. Also picked up some Tanzanian Peaberry as well as some Kenyan Peaberry for when I get comfortable with the process.

for the roasted samplers I picked up a Bali Blue Moon, Indian Monsoon Malabar and some Kona (for a beer project.)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393860689.621321.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393860723.600187.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393860751.993635.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393860774.619900.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393860793.365745.jpg

Gonna take some practice but I will catch on quickly hopefully! I think I may have rushed it to first crack by having the heat too high. Always fond of the "learn as I go" type process. It is the most rewarding.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393860824.408994.jpg

I'm sold on the whirly pop method... Now I just need to go buy one, the air popper I have just goes way too fast and isn't as even.

I'm sold on the whirly pop method... Now I just need to go buy one, the air popper I have just goes way too fast and isn't as even.

I don't think I posted this here. Some captivating video :) After grilling some chicken Saturday, I put the Whirley Pop on the coals and roasted a pound of coffee.

_mg_8039-62325.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys who have roasted know the smell of freshly roasted beans. Your hands get covered with that oily aroma. It's a smell that leaves a lasting impression.

When I look at this thread (and others like it), I feel that overwhelming desire to stick my nose in my bags of roasted beans. Man I love that stuff!

Too fast, not as even, the chaff is hard to contain and the plastic top on mine clearly gets too hot from the long roasting time of coffee compared to popcorn. Clearly the air popper was just a gateway drug. I've been looking at the drum roasters (Behmor, Gene Cafe) but maybe i should give the whirly pop a shot. It's certainly much cheaper. :)

Too fast, not as even, the chaff is hard to contain and the plastic top on mine clearly gets too hot from the long roasting time of coffee compared to popcorn. Clearly the air popper was just a gateway drug. I've been looking at the drum roasters (Behmor, Gene Cafe) but maybe i should give the whirly pop a shot. It's certainly much cheaper. :)

I have been drooling over the drum roasters too, but something about that whirly pop just seems to work so well I can't justify the cost with how cheap I am...

Air poppers are totally gateway into needing more toys!!! You could always build an air roaster!!! I built mine for less than $200 probably and can roast 1.5lbs pretty easily.

The inlaws don't drink beer, but they do drink coffee. My mother in law has been begging me to start roasting coffee for some time, and after reading how easy/rewarding home roasted Java can be I am going to jump on in. Thanks guys!

I roasted 2# of beans in my Whirley Pop. Didn't think that would work, but no problem. I'm wondering now what the limit is.

I have been using a Whirley Popper to roast coffee must be a couple of years now. I do 1 lb batches just so the coffee is always fresh. Was doing 1/2 lb at first. I drink an average of 3 cups a day using a Keurig or a cheap 2 cup drip machine.

I roast indoors or outdoors on my grills side burner. Indoors in the winter with a vent hood.

I started with timers and probe thermometers. Now I just roast. I can tell from the smell and sound. I roast from breakfast to a dark roast depending on my mood. Roast time is 8-10 minutes.

Get my beans all from Dean's Beans now. I have found them to be my favorite.

Took a Saturday shift at my old roasting job. Proud of the last batch of the day, a Guatelama Antigua. Also, I thought ya'll would appreciate the machine's paint job

0308141447.jpg

I have been using a Whirley Popper to roast coffee must be a couple of years now. I do 1 lb batches just so the coffee is always fresh. Was doing 1/2 lb at first. I drink an average of 3 cups a day using a Keurig or a cheap 2 cup drip machine.

I roast indoors or outdoors on my grills side burner. Indoors in the winter with a vent hood.

I started with timers and probe thermometers. Now I just roast. I can tell from the smell and sound. I roast from breakfast to a dark roast depending on my mood. Roast time is 8-10 minutes.

Get my beans all from Dean's Beans now. I have found them to be my favorite.

That time is about right for me on the stove. It's double when I'm on the coals outside, as I was this weekend.

I'm going to check out Dean's right now.

Took a Saturday shift at my old roasting job. Proud of the last batch of the day, a Guatelama Antigua. Also, I thought ya'll would appreciate the machine's paint job

Nice!

What are you alls thoughts on decaf beans for evening coffee? Any recommendations?

I haven't tried the decaf beans. I heard a long time ago that coffee was decaffeinated with formaldehyde, and that kinda turned me off. But I recently noticed organic decaf beans. Not sure what any of that means, but I think I'll give it a try.

I haven't tried the decaf beans. I heard a long time ago that coffee was decaffeinated with formaldehyde, and that kinda turned me off. But I recently noticed organic decaf beans. Not sure what any of that means, but I think I'll give it a try.

They can make decaf with a water process and also, I think, using CO2. We drink a lot of decaf and I've tried a few of the green varieties from Sweet Maria's. All so far have been good. There was one variety that stood out, but hell if I can remember which one.

They can make decaf with a water process and also, I think, using CO2. We drink a lot of decaf and I've tried a few of the green varieties from Sweet Maria's. All so far have been good. There was one variety that stood out, but hell if I can remember which one.

I was stuck on decaf for several years (I'm pretty nutty with caffeine). But, screw it, I also like to be hyped up. I work alone so I can get away with it.

The best bean yet has been this one, the Colombia Narino Buesaco. Man that stuff was good. But I'm starting to think that my roasting has a big effect on it (duh). I'm still a noob, but I'll get it all figured out soon.

184966d1394475662-coffee-ingredients-roasting-grinding-brewing-tasting-0308141447.jpg

I was riding my bike through Clearwater Saturday and rode right past a building that said Ambex Coffee Roasters and Grinders. Anyway, their roasters look a LOT like the one in your pic. Pretty big coincidence!

http://www.ambexroaster.com/

predRadnjom.jpg

Last edited:
That one WAS an Ambex, from the mid-90's. but it was a model with lots of functional problems, so over the years our resident mechanic, Travis, had made so many modifications on it, that we now call it a "Travex"

Latest posts

Back