Tempature question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
Hello home brew world. First brew nut brown ale true Brew kit has been in fermenter four days and I have been keeping it at 70 degrees F. I plan on keeping it in fermenter at least three weeks. Is it necessary for me to keep it below the normal room temp. of 81 degrees F. The whole month?

Most of the off flavors come during the first few days of fermentation. After 4 days I would guess that fermentation has slowed down, you are OK to let it warm up to room temperature.

In fact I usually do just that, it helps the yeast in fermenting as much sugar as possible.

It really only essential to keep it at the proper temperature during the major part the fermentation. So like a week or so. After that, you can warm it up a bit, and it also helps the yeast finish up too.

As for "below the normal room temp. of 81 degrees F", for that beer, I would try to aim for the mid 60s to the very low 70s until fermentation slows, then bring it up to the regular room temp.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have a similar question. Last night I brewed a British mild recipie I found on this forum. It specifies a pitching temp and initial fermentation of 65 degrees, as ive noticed most milds do. So my basement really only ranges from 68 at the coolest to 78 at the highest in the summer months. Last night it was about 78 degrees and I couldn't get the wort any cooler. So my question is, what is going to happen to my beer, what should I expect in two weeks when I cool, carb and drink it???

If you're actually sorry, don't do it.

Great! Then ill just dirty up the forum by adding yet another "did I ruin my beer?" thread, while distracting completely from this thread which contains an almost Identical topic yet containing a few less a-holes.

Latest posts

Back