Not fermenting!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjwj12

Reaction score
I made an concoction with some ingredients on sat night and it's been two days and nothing has happened. I made pretty much 6 gallons with everything here. Idk what I should do now. Please help. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394482805.456705.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you have had no fermentation activity guessing the yeast was old or you added without the wort cooling down to pitching temperature. Without knowing your procedure this is just a wild guess.

My advice - Get another packet of dry yeast and re-pitch.

I have a pack of wyeast ready to go. And I did let it get below 80 with my wort chiller. Should I give it another day?

I have a pack of wyeast ready to go. And I did let it get below 80 with my wort chiller. Should I give it another day?

If it has truly been over 48 hours with no activity at all then yes I would re-pitch. (an airlock is not an indication by the way). Not sure if you are fermenting in a bucket or glass. If glass you would see movement / krausen on the surface.

Your fermentation temperature could also be a factor. (should be around 65 to 70 degrees)

The yeast you have pictured is usually a quick starter and fast fermenter.

What was your OG? How old was the yeast? Hydrated or not?

The only way to really know if you have no fermentation is with a hydrometer. If you don't have a hydrometer I strongly urge you pick one up.

My og was 1.044. The yeast isn't old unless Midwest is selling old yeast now. It is in a plastic bucket becuase I decided to do 6 gallons. The room temp stays between 68 and 72. I do have an airlock on it right now becuase I have enough room that I don't need a blow off.

The only way to really know if you have no fermentation is with a hydrometer. If you don't have a hydrometer I strongly urge you pick one up.

I do have a hydrometer but i don't want to open it again.

Do you have krausen? If you are using a bucket, the airlock might not bubble because sometimes CO2 escapes out around the lid, so don't use that as a judge of fermentation activity. Check for krausen. If you see any, or if you see a ring where there used to be krausen around the bucket, you're all set. If not, take a gravity reading and see if it has changed. If so, you're all set. If not, make a starter with the liquid yeast you have and pitch it at high krausen - that'll definitely get things going.

Your not going to hurt anything buy removing the lid carefully and doing a quick check. If the gravity has decrease then you have fermentation. If it has remained at 1.044 then you'll need to pitch some more yeast.

Do you have krausen? If you are using a bucket, the airlock might not bubble because sometimes CO2 escapes out around the lid, so don't use that as a judge of fermentation activity. Check for krausen. If you see any, or if you see a ring where there used to be krausen around the bucket, you're all set. If not, take a gravity reading and see if it has changed. If so, you're all set. If not, make a starter with the liquid yeast you have and pitch it at high krausen - that'll definitely get things going.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394484143.143724.jpghere is what I'm using. And yes it's my bottling bucket. I'm going to transfer it to a secondary after so many days.

You're going to have to open 'er up and take a look. Check for krausen or a krausen ring around the bucket. Check the gravity. See what's going on. Looking at the outside of your bucket won't help us figure this one out ;)

I took off the lid real fast and maybe I'm mistaking?? It looks like it doing something!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394484328.416750.jpg

You got fermentation. Now replace the lid, then sit back, relax, and have a home brew friend. :mug:

Thanks everyone! I'm letting my imagination get the best of me!!!!

Latest posts

Back