CO2 headache

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SupraSPL

Reaction score
My bedroom is all sealed up and I sleep about 10 inches off the floor. Sometimes I have uo to 10 gallons of brew fermenting in there while I am sleeping. I keep waking up with mild headaches while they are in high krausen. Today I finally put two and two together and realized I might be breathing some pretty high CO2 levels all night. Has anyone else noticed this? This report says that 2-3% can cause first symptoms of asphyxia and 3%+ they mention headaches.

When it really comes down to it I'm not going to move the jugs though because I have them in the perfect temperature zone in there. I guess it is one more reason to hate winter in NY lol.

This is an interesting topic. CO2 from fermentation can be a real hazard in confined spaces. Once you get over 1000 ppm, the average person can start to feel drowsy, mild headache, etc.

I worked a case about 10 years ago where several people in the same community were passing out in their basements. Testing revealed it was due to high CO2 levels. The EPA, State and local agencies got involved and determined that it was due to the community being built upon a former dump for building materials (mostly wood). We took CO2 meters into the basements and got high readings at areas like the sump pits, etc.

Anyway, you should really ventilate your room in some way during fermentation... crack a window, open the door, use a fan, etc. Don't you go dyin' on us!

I have a Bioaire ventilator that has a heat exchanger in it. I don't ferment in my bedroom, but something like that would be a good idea in your situation. Does a fairly good job, air coming into the room is about 1F lower than the outside air for every 10F difference between inside and outside.

Another alternative would be to drill a couple holes in a board, fit it into your window and run blowoff tubes outside.

Back