Brewing yeast in baking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was watching the best cooking show ever; good eats and wanted to make what he was making, I found myself fresh outa bakers yeast though... but I always have a good supply of white labs liquid yeast, could it work? I may experiment tomorrow but anyone who has gone down this path already, warnings would be appreciated.

It would technically work, but it wouldn't work nearly as well as Bakers yeast would.

Brewers yeasts are cultured to undergo the Anaerobic fermentation reaction efficiently at "room" temperature, not to mention in the acidic/alcoholic conditions found in beer.

Bakers yeasts are cultured to undergo aerobic cellular respiration efficiently creating far more CO2 than fermentation causing the bread to rise, not to mention that they are able to function efficiently at high temperatures over 100 degrees and I'm not sure at what point the temperature would kill off brewers yeast (though even baker's yeast does get killed off eventually)

From what I have read elsewhere, you will want to let the dough rise a bit longer than you would for bread yeast. Up to overnight.

urbanmyth said:
From what I have read elsewhere, you will want to let the dough rise a bit longer than you would for bread yeast. Up to overnight.

Hi, I wanted to try brewing yeast in my baking....I have worked in two bakeries, Great Harvest and Le Petite, and have been making baked goods for approximately 5-6 years now on a regular basis. I recently did a large batch of dough and exceeded all my expectations, here's how.

I started with an old pack of wyeast and made a 1 liter starter with amber malt and a tablespoon of simple sugar. I let this go for two days until there was visible signs of fermentation. Then I shook and dumped the whole stater, liquid and everything, into a mixing bowl. I then made a wet dough (too dry of doughs are a main cause of poor rising). I then let this sit at room temp for about four hrs then covered and put into fridge, when I awoke I saw exactly what I wanted to see, a nice bubbly dough that nearly double in size. This dough was super stretchy and very fragrant, I have made two pizzas with it and just pop it back kit back in the fridge to let mature some more after cutting off a piece for a crust. The wyeast was 3638, but would work with most yeasts, ESP those that create a high kraeusen.

Those are Gouda rolls that are n the second pic, and my "repeat offender" stout.
image-1839731913.jpg

image-1703577962.jpg

I bake with trub and spent malt all the time. I use about a cup of the trub/yeast cake after brewing and make a sponge the first day. I then cold ferment overnight and work the dough for the second rise at room temp the second day. I add a couple cups of the wet spent malt. I have made both a pretty heavy multi-grain and a much lighter loaf with very nice results.

Back