Green Beer can equal great!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBKing

Reaction score
So I've been trying to work on my patience a bit and let my bottles sit more than a week before a break into 1 (or 2!)

I bottled Midwest Supplies Hop Head IIPA a MERE 4 DAYS AGO and had a buddy over who I dont see very often who wanted to try it.

Being one to not say no, I ogliged him and chilled one for myself also.

Best brew I've made thus far. Nice fizz sound when I opened the bottles, decent head that lasted about 3 minutes, and a fruity smell along with a fruity fruity taste!

This is the first time that I've thought "Green beer doesnt mean bad beer!" as the rest of my brews have been mediocre when green (we've all done "research" right?).

I'm gonna give it another week before I touch em, then set a 6er back for a couple months and see then.

But seriously, WOW.

I cannot wait to try the AG version of this.

I usually try a bottle after 5 or 6 days too. My curiosity gets the best of me on almost every batch. Then I sample again every few days until fully carbed. It's fun to see how each batch develops over time.

I found the same thing. I'm on my 15th batch. Some of them were carbed and tasted great after a week. Others needed more time. The more I brew, the more I'm learning that there are no hard and fast rules. Not all beers need to stay in the bottle for 3 weeks. Some need more time.

BBKing, I made the same kit myself and really liked the initial hop aroma and flavor.

Just speaking based on my experience but I wouldn't age it too long before drinking them. I polished off the last few bottles last night which were about three months old. Most of the aroma and flavor are gone.

It's still good beer but nowhere near the beer that I enjoyed in the first month. My thoughts on pale ales and IPAs are to drink them early and often. Now that I have a keg set up, I may try re-dry hopping them once the aroma and flavor fades.

Hops fade fast, really hop-centric beers are best drunk young.

It's why Pliny the Elder has all those warnings plastered on the label saying:

"Respect your elder. Keep Cold. Drink Fresh. Pliny the Elder is a historical figure, don’t make the beer inside this bottle one! Not a barley wine, do not age! Age your cheese, not your Pliny! Respect hops, consume fresh. If you must, sit on eggs, not on Pliny! Do not save for a rainy day! Pliny is for savoring, not for saving! Consume Pliny fresh or not at all! Does not improve with age! Hoppy beers are not meant to be aged! Keep away from heat!":

Wheat/Hefe/Pale/IPA/IIPA = drink young, or at least younger than your others

Everything else = could probably do with a bit of age.

Back