Danstar Yeast: New Vacuum-packed Sachets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klemcke

Reaction score
Lallemand, manufacturers of Danstar Premium Yeast, is pleased to announce an important change in our line-up of brewing yeast products. In the coming months, we will be introducing brand new packaging to our Danstar Nottingham, Windsor and Munich yeasts. Along with a fresh new look, this new packaging marks a substantial improvement in product protection and quality assurance.

Our new brewing yeast sachets will now be vacuum sealed, a process that allows brewers to know by sight and touch whether the package has allowed air to enter, giving brewers an extra level of confidence about the performance of our products. Dry yeast requires a storage environment that offers the lowest possible levels of air and humidity in order to maximize the shelf life of the yeast. Our new vacuum-sealing method absolutely minimizes packaged air & moisture while giving the user a visible and tactile assurance that the package is airtight. If the vacuum is compromised, brewers will be able to detect the change in packaged yeast from tightly-packed to loose, giving them an indication there may be air inside and indicating the yeast may not be usable. No other homebrewing yeast product offers this extra layer of product assurance.

Our new vacuum-sealed sachets are produced using a state-of-the-art packaging system commissioned specifically for our brewing yeast products. While this packaging process is highly labor-intensive, it allows us to deliver products with an unsurpassed level of quality and reliability.

The new Danstar sachet format will be available starting in early 2011, and will replace the existing nitrogen-flushed sachets. For more information about our packaging improvements, visit our web site at www.lallemandbrewing.com or contact Keith Lemcke at [email protected] .

Even if they raise the price of dry yeast by 0.20$ (which I doubt), would anyone really notice? It is still dirt cheap.

No thanks, I am done with Danstar.
By the way, the price increased by something like 70%.

What's wrong with Danstar?

There's been an on and off again problem with their yeast packets being perforated and some people reporting odd fermentation characteristics, they had QA issues which hopefully this will solve.

even if its 3 bucks a pop, thats still better than 8 bucks for a smack pack or vial of WL
....Even though I still normally cough up the extra cheddar for the wet yeast.

Its going to be a tough sell to pay more for Nottingham that Safale given the last year. I mean a process change is highly encouraging, but without a track record of effectiveness... I just don't know if I'll be buying it.

Of course, that's just responding to the $4-5 Rumor... after all MSRP means very little it's all about the wholesale and end user pricing and rumored changes don't mean anything unless it's shown to be true.

I will be picking up a few to keep on hand, I am always amazed that people will completely swear off a product due to past issues, many have stated they wont ever use notty again yet have personally never gotten a bad packet themselves. A friend of mine is one of those guys, he recently came over and we were having a few pints, he says " this is a damn fine beer, what yeast did you use in this batch?" Notty was my reply, he then states "that stuff is pure crap, why would you ever use it?" :drunk:

Well I have to say I'm hesitant to try notty again. I've only used it once and it produced a really nasty beer. With Safale, Wyeast and Whitelabs, my track record has been 100% success while with notty it's been 0%. Granted my sampling is small and lots of people report making fine beer with notty. But I don't brew more than once a month and it just flat out sucks wasting 30$ of beer to save a few dollars on yeast. I just start out with an 8$ packet of liquid yeast and brew 5 beers with it. My success rate doing that has been stellar and that brings the cost down to below 2$ a batch for yeast. No reason for me to change.

I've never had anything but good results with Nottingham myself, but these price jumps are just another incentive for me to start washing yeast regularly.

Williams still has Notty for 1.75 with a bulk discount of .25 off if you buy at least 12. Though if you're not on the west coast Midwest's shipping might be cheaper.

Back