120 year old PBR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't..but damn, as an enthusiast of the history of brewing, especially in america, I think it's an awesome discovery...Complete with the pedigree? WOW!

And it predates the designation of "blue Ribbon.

Which is a myth btw....

From Ambitious Brew:
Myth: Pabst Blue Ribbon beer was named “America’s Best” at the 1893 Columbian World Exposition in Chicago, a fact still commemorated on the Pabst label.

Reality: Frederick Pabst pronounced himself winner of the Exposition’s grand prize, but there was no grand prize to win. The judges of the brewing exhibits were forbidden from awarding ranked prizes for first, second, and third place. Everyone exhibitor left the Exposition with the same bronze commemorative medallion, regardless of the quality of his beer.

Well if 100k were pocket change for me, as a beer geek? You betcha I might consider it....

buy it.
open it on a Pay-Per-View special with Rachel Ray, Hulk Hogan and a sweepstakes winner as guest tasters.

:mug:

where is the insane profit smiley?

buy it.
open it on a Pay-Per-View special with Rachel Ray, Hulk Hogan and a sweepstakes winner as guest tasters.

where is the insane profit smiley?

I'd love to get a sample to run through a gas chromatograph, or take a dna sample or something..can you imagine it, actually having the PRE BMC recipe for a pre-prohibition Pabst bohemian Pilsner??? Reading the Brewyana comments I betcha Pabst doesn't even have the recipe any more...Brewing that and putting it out on the market may be worth the 100k....

The description of the beer, and where it comes from indicated that Pabst was from west of Milwaukee. Of course Milwaukee was the headquarters of the Pabst brewing company.

West of Milwaukee was the Pabst farm. Located in Waukasha county, the farm is now being either developed or, proposed to be developed.

The Grand Army of the Republic would have been like our VFW or American Legion type organizations.

Within the Wisconsin state capitol at Madison is a room called the GAR. I spent many, many an hour in that very ornate committee hearing room.

Thanks for the post.

i have 2 cases of 10 year old natural light in my garage that my mom took from us when we were in high school. how much do you think i'll get for that

I would NEVER consider giving 100K to a seller who has only 6 feedback responses, 2 of which are from people who are no longer registered users and he has absolutely NO feedback as a seller. This means this item is his first sale and i have a hunch that this auction is one that should be reported to Ebay as possible fraud.

First auction and it just happens to be for 100K and for an item that can't legally be shipped by an individual........seems very fishy to me.

i have 2 cases of 10 year old natural light in my garage that my mom took from us when we were in high school. how much do you think i'll get for that

I know you guys are focussed on the fact that it's Pabsts....but I don't think you get that this isn't the same as the cheap ass PBR macro swill you think it is...This is really a significant piece of American brewing history. This beer was BEFORE the big commercial breweries...this was BEFORE Anheiser Bush capitalized the market for light bohemian pilsners and took over the market.

This is actually from the time when they all were battling for regional and national distrubution, and it was from the time when the only alcohol that could be produced (becasue of the civil war and material and food shortages) were those beers because they were considered food for the troops....

Beers like Budweiser and This beer meant a lot more than we think it does now...

Maureen Ogle proved that in her amazing and eye openinng book Ambitious Brew about the history of brewing in America...it destroys a lot of myths that we beersnobs have been misinformed about, like the use of rice and corn in Budweiser....

The addition of corn and rice to American pilseners was not originally a cost-cutting measure, but rather an attempt to deal with the high protein content of American barley malt. Corn and rice actually made the beer more expensive, but helped with haze and other issues resulting from the use of high protein barley.

When AH released Budweiser with it's corn and rice adjuncts in the 1860's it was the most expensive beer out there; a single bottle retailed for $1.00 (what would equal in today's Dollars for $17.00) this was quite difference when a schooner of beer usually cost a nickel.

The American populace ate it up!

It wasn't done to save money, it was done because heavy beers (both english style Ales and the heavier Bavarian malty beers) were not being drunk by American consumers any more. Beer initally was seen around the world as food (some even called it liquid bread), but since America, even in the 1800's was a prosperous nation compared to the rest of the world, and americans ate meat with nearly every meal, heavy beers had fallen out of favor...

And like you said American Barley just made for heavy, hazy beer

Bush and other German Brewers started looking at other styles of Beers, and came upon Karl Balling and Anton Schwartz's work at the Prague Polytechnic Institute with the Brewers in Bohemia who when faced with a grain shortage started using adjuncts, which produced the pils which was light, sparkly and fruity tasting...just the thing for American tastebuds.

So the brewers brought Schwartz to America where he went to work for American Brewer Magazine writing articles and technical monographs, teaching American brewers how to use Rice and Corn...

The sad moral of the story is....The big corporate brewers did not foist tasteless adjunct laced fizzy water on us, like the popular mythology all of us beersnobs like to take to bed with us to feel all warm and elitist....it was done because our American ancestors wanted it.

Listen to this from Basic Brewing;

November 30, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part One
We learn about the history of beer in the USA from Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part one takes us from the Pilgrims to Prohibition.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr11-30-06.mp3

December 7, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part Two
We continue our discussion about the history of beer in the USA with Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part two takes us from Prohibition to the present day.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr12-07-06.mp3

You might wanna read the book, or listen to the podcasts...you may actually appreciate how cool it really is, even if it is a tad overpriced...

I'd love to get a sample to run through a gas chromatograph, or take a dna sample or something..can you imagine it, actually having the PRE BMC recipe for a pre-prohibition Pabst bohemian Pilsner??? Reading the Brewyana comments I betcha Pabst doesn't even have the recipe any more...Brewing that and putting it out on the market may be worth the 100k....

it would probably taste better than the Fossil crap from last year.

If I were the owner of the Pabst name and trademark.. I'd be all over it.

and I'd still do some kind of pay per view with Rachel Ray.
Just because.

I would NEVER consider giving 100K to a seller who has only 6 feedback responses, 2 of which are from people who are no longer registered users and he has absolutely NO feedback as a seller. This means this item is his first sale and i have a hunch that this auction is one that should be reported to Ebay as possible fraud.

First auction and it just happens to be for 100K and for an item that can't legally be shipped by an individual........seems very fishy to me.

Actually if you look at the discussion on the Beeradvocate link you'll see that it is legitimate and that the guy just doens't know what he has in his hands an what he should do with it...he posted back and forth with the guys on the beer adovcate thread...

It's really easy not to have any ebay feedback...if you've never put anything up there before this, right?

fixed for ya. :tank:

HEHe...If I could go back to the 80's.....boy...

1.jpg

I'd be all over her like sweet creamery butter on scones....

:D

I would love to try it and see what pbr has come from.
I can't lie but I have gotten drunk off pbr once or twice.:drunk:

darn.
my palate is not sophisticated enough to enjoy PBR today when it is fresh. gimme a KERZ instead!
no, wait....i'll take a bacardi-n-coke

100k ???
i have a 30 year old Marantz receiver. must be worth double that PBR bottle. my Marantz rocks!

Actually if you look at the discussion on the Beeradvocate link you'll see that it is legitimate and that the guy just doens't know what he has in his hands an what he should do with it...he posted back and forth with the guys on the beer adovcate thread...

It's really easy not to have any ebay feedback...if you've never put anything up there before this, right?

I used to be a software developer for Ebay and then Overstock.com Auctions, this auction may be legit but it also has all of the classic red flags of the countless fraud auctions seen daily. Even if this is legit i would NEVER give 100k of my money to a non-verified seller. You have no idea how many times i have seen people screwed out of their money on auction sites.

I wish Dogfish Head would get its hands on this and reconstruct it like they have with Theobroma and Midas Touch. Sure its not ancient history but its American history.

Even if this is legit i would NEVER give 100k of my money to a non-verified seller.

Or someone who capitalizes the first letter of every word they type (except for the copy and paste disclaimer - of course)!

They recently ressurected Schlitz's orignal recipe, I'd imagine that this recipe resurrected could be popular in local areas as well. Just my thoughts.

Later,

Reminds me of the 200+ year old beer that was listed last year.

I'll be damned if I can find a link to it anywhere though...

I know you guys are focussed on the fact that it's Pabsts....but I don't think you get that this isn't the same as the cheap ass PBR macro swill you think it is...This is really a significant piece of American brewing history. This beer was BEFORE the big commercial breweries...this was BEFORE Anheiser Bush capitalized the market for light bohemian pilsners and took over the market.
Revvy, thanks for all those paragraphs of info! Very interesting! And now I'm off to Amazon to buy that book...

I can't lie but I have gotten drunk off pbr once or twice.:drunk:

I won't lie either... Despite my highly refined taste for craft brews, PBR is still one of my favorite beers. I'd say number 5 in my top-five, all-time, desert island, favorite beers. I know, it's weird...

Anyway, if I had 100k to throw around, I'd totally risk it on this auction scam for a bottle of pre-prohibition PBR. If I had the money for that, it would be likely I already lost way more on the stock market in the last year, so what would another 100k be for a fictitious rich bastard like me?

If I was thinking of spending 100k on something like this, I would spend a good 3-5k to hire an authority to go see it in person and fully vet it before purchase. Small price to pay IMO.

Interesting question and answer/debate going on at the auction now...

Q: Please be advised the Pabst Brewery was first known as the Phillip Best Brewery. They did not botle beer until 1875, and that was under the Phillip Best name. The brewery did not become Pabst until 1889 - hence your bottle is newer than 1889. I would date your bottle between 1890 to 1893 and would place a value of between $50 to $75.

A: I believe 1889 was the last year that the GAR held it's annual gathering outside Milwaukee. It was also the year that the gathering of primarily civil war soldiers marched to Captain Pabst house in Milwaukee in order to celebrate and cheer him. It is recorded in the archives that it was a joyous night. The GAR encampment was held there for the previous four years as well I believe. Which would make this one of the first beers to be labeled Pabst. I believe this bottle to be the oldest and possibly only surviving bottle of beer from this era. If you know of another, I would like to know about it. But I have not been able to find anything comparable.

Reminds me of the 200+ year old beer that was listed last year.

I'll be damned if I can find a link to it anywhere though...

You mean this one?

$500,000 for 1 Bottle of Beer?

OK, this Seattlest loves beer. But, we can't ever imagine having enough money to blow $500,000 on a bottle of beer.

A full, sealed bottle of Allsopp's Arctic Ale, from 1852, just sold on Ebay for $503,300 yesterday. Yes, you read that correctly.

This sale was definitely for a historical artifact though, and not just for the beer itself.
Allsopp's Brewery was notable for brewing some of the first India Pale Ales in England for export to the colonies. This Arctic Ale was formulated to last through an arctic expedition to search for a lost explorer, Sir John Franklin. This is the oldest known sealed bottle of beer in the world. 2 bottles of this were sent to the US about 100 years ago, and this is one of those 2 bottles.

Who would spend this much on a bottle of beer? After 157 bids, "v00d004sc0re" is the proud owner of one old ass bottle of beer. His previous purchases on Ebay seem to consist of nothing but vinyl records, none over $30. Color us skeptical. But, any bidder had to be credit checked/verified for bids over $15k and the deal will take place through an escrow service. So, who knows. Maybe it is a real bid.

The real kicker, is the current seller bought this beer less than 2 months ago on Ebay for.....$304. But, he had to pay shipping. The guy who bought for $500k got free shipping, making it well worth it.
The $300 auction was simple: Here is an old bottle of beer for sale. Please buy it.
The seller for the $500k auction put some research into it and turned it into a one-of-a-kind historical artifact. That lucky bastard. The guy who sold this for $300 must be kicking himself something fierce...

If you bought this beer, would you drink it? We would. Then, we'd fill it back up with Guinness or something and re-cap it. No one would ever know...

You can find more historical details about the beer after the break.

From the aucion description:

Until the 1850s Allsopp’s Brewery was most notable for brewing some of the first India Pale Ales for export to the colonies. However, Samuel Allsopp was approached about a different recipe; Sir Edward Belcher was about to led an arctic expedition (1852) to search for the lost explorer Sir John Franklin. The Expedition needed a brew that withstand arctic and sub arctic temperatures, and provide a degree of sustenance and nutritious value. “Captain Belcher reported that Allsopp's Arctic Ale proved to be "a valuable antiscorbutic", helping fight off scurvy, the bane of all sea voyages in those days.” He added that the beer was "a great blessing to us, particularly for our sick" and that it refused to freeze until the temperature dropped well below zero.” [beerpages.com]
What you are looking at is an actual museum quality sealed and intact bottle of Samuel Allsopp’s Arctic Ale brewed for the 1852 Expedition to the Arctic lead by Sir Edward Belcher. This bottle of beer is likely the rarest, oldest, and most documented bottle of beer in existence! Not to mention the unbelievably unique history surrounding it. Accompanying the bottle is an actual limited handwritten history about the bottle itself.

It reads as follows:

“This ale was specially brewed and bottled in England, in 1852, for Kane’s Expedition in search of Sir John Franklin. A portion of the lot was cached in the Arctic; and was afterwards taken back to England, where it was bought by Allsopp, from whom Mr. Jus. Fennell obtained a part.

This bottle was given to me by Mr. Fennell May 13, 1919. Should I depart from this (by that time probably) dry world before consuming the contents, let my son and brethren perform my duties and enjoy my rights in that respect, on the eve of my funeral (if they find it in time) – unless such act be then illegal, in which case those of the aforesaid trustees who sufficiently learned in law shall advise ac-????? To the rule of ey fares.

Two bottles of this ale were guests of honor at the banquet given to Shackleton and Peary, in Boston, some years ago. (1907/1908) The skeletons of said guests were preserved as mementos of Sir John Franklin! (Useful suggestion regarding the “cast off shell” of the spirit.)

Signed: Percy G Bolster
Research seems to point toward Percy Bolster being an attorney in the Boston area in the early 20th C. I am not sure who Kane is? that he is referring in the Expedition. Perhaps a financier or someone his friend Fennell told him of.

The handwritten note was laminated some time back. The bottle itself is in excellent condition, still full and wax sealed over cork. The fill line is possibly the original fill line for the bottle. The wax seal appears lightly chipped in one area. Please read the e-bay disclaimers concerning this auction* You are bidding on what most would consider the rarest bottle of beer in the world! This bottle’s history is amazing!

Think…two bottles were sent over for the celebration Peary and Shackleton’s North Pole expedition, in Boston, over 100 years ago, and those bottles were considered a RARE TREASURE at that time!!! Do your research this piece is nothing short of museum quality, also find it interesting that the world record price paid for a full corked bottle of wine was a Chateau Margaux 1789 that was part of Thomas Jefferson’s personal collection, LONDON Christies 1989 $265,000.

Although this bottle is not quit of that caliber, it is rather close, with age, condition, provenance, and history. Imagine it was rare enough 100 years ago to be something very special, something that would be opened for a successful 1st expedition to the North Pole.

So here is your chance, own the rarest bottle of beer in the world, make the Guinness Book of World Records, or do as you please. This is most certainly a once in a lifetime opportunity. A down payment is expected at auction end. The transaction can be closed in a number of conventional ways, if you have the money to purchase this item, you are well familiar with all of them. Standard auction terms and conditions govern this auction. Please do not waste my time with ridiculous comments or questions, serious buyers and inquiries only.

This listing complies with ebay rules on the sale of alcohol. As per ebay rules:

- The value of the item is in the collectible container, not its contents.
- The container has not been opened and any incidental contents are not intended for consumption.
- The item is not available at any retail outlet, and the container has a value that substantially exceeds the

current retail price of the alcohol in the container.

- As the seller, I will take all appropriate steps to ensure that the buyer is of lawful age in the buyer and seller's

jurisdiction. (21 in the United States, 18 most everywhere else)

- Buyers and sellers both ensure that the sale complies with all applicable laws and shipping regulations.

If you bought this beer, would you drink it? We would. Then, we'd fill it back up with Guinness or something and re-cap it. No one would ever know...

Gotta love that. After all I'm sure there is a disclaimer stating the auction is not for the contents but for the bottle and it's historical value :)

I once thought would have been foolish to buy a very old barley wine from a reputable seller on ebay for 75$

But I'd never pay for a spoiled bottle of Pabst.

Revvy, thanks for all those paragraphs of info! Very interesting! And now I'm off to Amazon to buy that book...

I won't lie either... Despite my highly refined taste for craft brews, PBR is still one of my favorite beers. I'd say number 5 in my top-five, all-time, desert island, favorite beers. I know, it's weird...

Ditto. Thanks for the interesting info Revvy! I am interested in that book as well.

I'm also in the same boat as frolickingmonkey. I love craft brews in their many shapes and forms... but time and again at the lake or camping, I find myself with a PBR in hand. It is by far my favorite cheap beer.

In fact, one of my tap handles on my keggerator is a PBR tap handle. :D

Since this link is the first to come up when you google "120 Year Old Pabst" I thought I would set the record straight and post how I obtained this beer.

Milwaukee’s Famous Brew In Texas?!!!

How a beer from a transformational time in Milwaukee’s rich brewing history ended up in 2009 Texas is a good question; one that began for me after removing a newspaper clip from around an old bottle. The clipping, an article written for the Whitewater Register in 1927, Said “One man in Whitewater has a bottle of the beer that made Milwaukee famous”, and went on to talk about how the bottle was obtained 40 years previous and who presently
had it.

Melvin Melone Webb was a musician during the Civil War era. He was also my great great grandfather. The story
has it that he became obsessed with obtaining and learning a violin as a child, and convinced his father, Whitewater, Wisconsin’s original blacksmith, to trade a young horse for his first instrument. He became known as having extraordinary musical ability, and came to make his way through life as a musician before, during, and after the
war.

As a Veteran, he was actively involved with the Grand Army of the Republic, and attended an annual encampment outside Milwaukee in 1889 (held in Milwaukee 1886-1890). At the time, the G.A.R. was one of the most influential political organizations in the United States. An 1889 article in the “Weekly Wisconsin” describes how a joyous crowd (accompanied by the band) in attendance at the annual gathering, found themselves singing
and cheering outside the Milwaukee home of Captain Pabst. It’s a good bet that much of the good cheer was due
in part to the bottles of Pabst Bohemian supplied to them by the good Captain. That night, or one like it, must have left quite an impression on Melvin. He would save that souvenir bottle of brew for the rest of his life.

After Melvin died, the beer’s custodian became his son Thomas Webb, an accomplished musician in his own right, and quite a character. Before forming a band with his brother Archibald (The Beloit Band out of Waterloo, Iowa), Thomas literally ran away with the circus and spent years on the road. After a long musical career he would return home to Whitewater to retire and live out the rest of his life with his brother, in buildings erected by their
grandfather.

These three men, Melvin, Thomas, and Archibald, had a profound influence on my grandmother Marcia, as her
own father was not present for reasons that are still unclear. As a child, she and her mother Mary (Thomas’s and Archibald’s sister) ended up in Whitewater seeking shelter, and found safety with the brothers. Marcia’s love for these men was enormous.

After Thomas’s death, Marcia became the third custodian of the bottle. She had become a fashion artist, living in various parts of the country, before following my grandfathers’ career and moving to Texas. He was a radio station manager and was hired by Lady Bird Johnson to manage a local radio station (KLBJ) in Austin. I remember
spending occasional nights with her, and more often than not, she would bring out the bottle of beer and reminisce.
I wish I had listened to her stories more. As an adult I’ve had to piece together a lot of my family history with clues (letters and news-clippings) that she left behind. She died in 1991.

For many years, the bottle was completely forgotten. After my grandmother’s death, many of the old family pictures were put into a box (along with the bottle) and put in storage underneath the stairs. It was not until this last
Christmas (2008) when I needed room to hide presents for my own children that I ran across the box, and
started to piece together what a historical find it was: a one of a kind artifact linking the history of brewing in the United States with the Civil War.

Inquiries can be sent to [email protected].
Pics: Flickr: antiquebeer's Photostream

Back