This is why I won't prime w/ Candi Syrup anymore.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthelm85

Reaction score
I had some extra candi syrup laying around so I decided to use it to prime my Tripel that I've been so excited about for the past 6 weeks. I bottled it up a few days ago and have since been fuming mad because I screwed up.

I did a 3 week secondary at about 46 degrees with this beer and I didn't let it warm up before racking to the bottling bucket. I calculated how much candi syrup to add and added it to the bucket (along with some fresh yeast) before racking the tripel. When I got done bottling, I tasted the last bit that was left in the bottling bucket and it was super sweet and 15 gravity points higher than my FG. I also noticed that some of the syrup was still on the bottom of the bucket and I realized then that I f'ed up.

The last super-sweet bit that was left in the bucket went into a tupperware container and into my mini warm room with the rest of the beers so that I could later take a gravity reading and know when all the additional sugars had been eaten up.

I opened it up today and when I poured it into my test tube to take a gravity reading it was already really, really carbed and down to only about 7 points above FG. I started to get pretty worried about bottle bombs so I took 1 bottle and chilled it down in the fridge for about 5 hours and opened it up and it's as flat as can be.

Yeah, this f'ing sucks. My guess is that some of the bottles won't be nearly carbed enough, some will be just right and I might end up with some gushers and/or bombs.

Lesson learned. If I ever decide to carb with candi syrup again I'll dilute it with a little water so that it mixes evenly. Maybe if the beer would have been warmer it would have mixed better but I won't risk it in the future.

Damn I hate f'ing up a great beer after 6 weeks of everything going so perfectly. I know you guys feel my pain.

Its a good excuse to build a kegerator. :D

Yep, the only thing holding me back from that is that I'm planning/hoping to be moving soon and I've already got too much stuff to be able to take with me. It would be too hard to convince the wife to bring all of my brewing stuff instead of some of her favorite furniture lol......as soon as I get settled in a longer-term place though the first thing I'll be doing is getting set up to keg.

Back