Killer wine strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerSZ

Reaction score
I'm brewing a sour pretty quick, I plan on fermenting with a neutral strain probably S-04 and various dregs both commercial and homebrew in the primary. In one of my recent sours I pitched Montrachet at bottling to ensure carbonation and I want to use those dregs but I'm not sure if Montrachet is a killer strain.

My concern is I don't want the montrachet to kill either my primary yeast or any viable dregs I'm throwing in. So does anyone know if Montrachet is a killer, neutral or susceptable yeast? Would brett, pedio and lacto be affected by a killer wine strain or is it just saccharomyces cerevisiae? Thanks guys!

Brett, pedio, and lacto are not affected by the killer yeast. They will keep right along their merry way. To my knowledge, only other sacro yeast are affected by the protein secreted by killer sacro yeast.

Thanks guys, couldn't find any info specifically on Red Star Montrachet but it sounds like most wine yeasts available for homebrewers/winemakers are killer strains so I'll just stick with the dregs from other funky beers. I did send an email to red star but haven't heard back yet.

The Shea Comfort podcast did inspire me to brew a saison with 71B and finish with 3711, good listen.

Back