Stir plate moving so fast there is no foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Dub

Reaction score
I have 2200mls in a 3000ml flask. Nice and cloudy, but no foam.

Any one make good starter with no foam in the flask??

I rarely see foam in my starters. It's not uncommon. If you see yeast settling at the bottom, then it's working.

About 80% of the time I get no significant foam when using a stirplate. The other 20% of the time I get big fluffy krausen like in a primary.

Foam happens just often enough that I still take the possibility into consideration.

I'm a bit confused on this topic...

Here's how I make my starter:

- Boil 750ml water

- Add nutrient, DME (1/2 cup)

- Cool

- Pitch yeast

Place in stir bar, cap with foam and then put on the stir plate set to revolve somewhere between 1 and 2 on the dial. Let it sit like that for @ 1.5 days.

Because the stir bar is doing its thing, there is no chance for any foam to appear or any yeast to clump together. That seems normal to me, but am I doing something wrong or not getting a good result somehow?

BTW, no issue getting the fermenter cracking within 4-8 hours.

The purpose of making a starter is to grow yeast. Growing yeast are not fermenting the sugars, so there isn't much krausen formed, even if the starter is just sitting there.

I have done a few step up starters since posting this thread.

From tube to 1500ml, no krausen, just a light layer of bubbles around the edge that you get from just spinning alone.

From 1500 dumped the wort and added 2000mls.....krausen almost coming out of a 3000ml flask while on the stir plate!

So you can have krausen on a starter on a stir pate, be careful on how full you fill your flask.:D

For me it goes either way. Either I have absolutly no foam whatsoever, or I have foam all over the counter when I wake up in the morning. :(

Back