ESB/Stout Blend: Cigar Pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
Modified Mild Ale
Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
11A-English Brown Ale-Mild

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 6.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 5.00 US gals

Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.054 SG
Expected OG: 1.065 SG
Expected FG: 1.016 SG
Apparent Attenuation: 74.0 %
Expected ABV: 6.5 %
Expected ABW: 5.1 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 30.2 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 29.3 SRM
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
UK Pale Ale Malt 7.79 lb
UK Caramalt 2.23 lb
UK Light Crystal 0.83 lb
UK Chocolate Malt 0.56 lb
UK Dark Crystal 0.56 lb

Hops

UK Golding 5.5 % 0.63 oz
UK Fuggle 4.5 % 1.25 oz

Yeast
Wyeast 1098-British Ale

Now, what do you guys think of this, and Please advise on how and what type of wheat I should use for head.

OK, this link is where this started...L I N K And now this is where we are.

I am looking to make a beer that will pair well while smoking a cigar.
I envision Some good hop bitterness, while having a smooth chocolate note.
Also, some malty flavor would be nice.
I am also thinking maybe some smokey oak chips might be good.

I see in my mind a nice thick tan head, would wheat help with that?
I would like to keep this as much of an English beer as I can.

Thanks for the help.
That do you think, where should I make adjustments.

Tim

to prevent the cigar over powering your beer, then i would sugest a good coneticut shade wraper, probably somthing of a smaller size with a regular ring guage. Drew estates has a good one called Chatue' Reale in both a maduro short filler and a coneticut shade wraper with a dominican shortfiller... If you want somthing to mesh with your beer and help with a smoking kinda flavor then you should have a good mild natral, lighter then usal still "La Gloria Cubana" has a great higher ring guage in this style simply ask your local cigar shop clerk if they have it. Lastly if you want a cigar inhanced by your beer but will over power it i would sugest a good souther carribean habanno, or a brazillan maduro... CAO has a prime Briziallan cigar which goes great with most anything and by itself, but the nutty and earthy flavor will overpower your beer after the first inch, but your beer will getnally enhance your palet so you get more from the cigar... unfortunatly the achohal will interfere with the robust bite of the later cigars.

Smoke them in good health, cheers

Looking for a Beer to compliment the cigar, which will be the primary focal point.

But, I have heard good things about the DE Chateau Real.

Tim

I completely reworked the grain bill. It is in the first post.
Please tell me what where I need to make corrections

TIA

Tim

It's Connecticut! :rockin:

sorry Poobah but when i was in school i payed more attention in science then in geography or english, so i cant spell to save my life... but i know my cigars, so spelling aside trust me.

Cheers

Bumped

Getting ready to start shopping for the grains.
Stil need help with wheat addition for head / foam retention

Thanks Tim

I think it depends on the cigar as much as the beer. If you're talking a beer with a chocolatey note, nothing would go better with that than any of the Padron maduros (particularly the 2000, 4000, or 5000)... and if you really want to treat yourself, a Padron Anniversario (1964) maduro.

However, I smoke a cigar (of varying types) every day with a beer (of different varieties) and to be honest, I don't think beer is the best beverage to pair with a cigar. But I think you're on the right track with the beer recipe... to get as good as one could get. If you like mild cigars, I think a good pairing would be a beer with a coffee note and, as others have said, a good Connecticut shade cigar... but not just any... I'm thinking an Avo XO Notturno.

I agree that it's gonna depend on the cigar you're smoking. I don't think a mild is a good pairing. For me, at least, I would think Porter or Stout. Something with chocolate and coffee notes. I wouldn't worry about trying to make it complex as the flavors will get lost while smoking. Something basic and roasty with a heavy mouthfeel, that's the route I would take.

But from what I've experienced, I don't usually enjoy beer with cigars. DR Pepper is the drink for me, brings out the spiciness in the stick.

and if you really want to treat yourself, a Padron Anniversario (1964) maduro.

But if you REALLY wanted to treat yourself, go for a Padron Anniv 1926 Maddie.

mmmmm

But if you REALLY wanted to treat yourself, go for a Padron Anniv 1926 Maddie.

Oh, sure, phenomenal smoke, but I figured the 1926 line would be a bit too overpowering for just about any beer (if one is trying to pair them). I think the 1926 has more spice and less chocolate (which I love, don't get me wrong... I'm an Opus whore). The 1964s (mad) have tons of smooth chocolatey goodness.

I don't think a mild is a good pairing. For me, at least, I would think Porter or Stout. Something with chocolate and coffee notes.... Something basic and roasty with a heavy mouthfeel, that's the route I would take.

This is a modified Mild, pushed toward a porter, I think. I say I think, because I am still new to building beers. It should have some chocolate notes to it, but I never thought about coffee. I do not think I want to get as heavy as a Stout, or even a Porter. And I might scale back the ABV as well.

I smoke a lot of Pepin's and Pete's stuff. Also I love the Illusione. When I am in the mood for a lighter smoke, I am never disappointed with a x000 Padron.

Tim

Back