anyone try using liquid smoke in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
i know a lot of people recommend against it and prefer smoked malt, but doesnt anyone here have any direct experiences with it? if so, how were those experiences?

I've not done so. I plan to use some smoked malt for the first time in an upcoming smoked porter. I'd like to hear how liquid smoke works though.

I don't have any direct experiences on using it but I distinctly remember Jamil Z. saying on his rauchbier show that using liquid smoke is not acceptable and will not give you the flavor you are looking for. I take most of his advise in high regard. I'd recommend you listen to his rauchbier podcast to see if he addresses the issue any further; I can not recall off the top of my head.

If you use the right kind of liquid smoke. Most grocery store liquid smoke has vinegar and other flavorings.

I'll track it down for you. There is an episode of Good Eats ("Q" maybe) where Alton basically distills his own liquid smoke. I think that would be acceptable to use.

I've had great success with wright's liquid smoke. I had to lay it down to age for an extra month or so before the flavors worked into the beer right, and it's definitely one dimensional and tastes exactly the way it smells, but it hits the spot with some bbq.

I used it at a rate of 1 tsp per 5 gallons for a smoked beer, so if you just wanted it the nose I'd start with a 1/4 tsp (or even less) and adjust to your own preferences. Wright's has no additives or preservatives and it's basically just bongwater from a hickory wood fire.

Try smoked malt, it doesn't take much.
I just finished a Blackberry Porter. it only had a 1/4 lb of peated malt in the 5 gal batch.
It's still green, but it has a delightful smokyness to it.

Back