10%abv IIPA, gotta love it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
Why, because I could :)

US-05 when treated nicely got this from 1.080 down to 1.009. 100 IBU, 6 SRM and a beauty to look at.

83% Canadian Two Row
14% Cane Sugar
3% Carapilz

20oz of hops were used from FWH, 60, 20,5 and dry hopped ranging from Centennial, Columbus, Northern Brewer, Amarillo, and Cascade.

In the end it came it right at 10%abv and is currently dry hopping for the next week. Fermented at 72 for two weeks and dry hopping for seven days with 5 oz of Amarillo/Cascade. Can't wait!

Just thought that I would share that with you all. :)

Edit: Add an oz of each hop at each additoin and two oz of Cascade every time it is added. Columbus and Centennial were First Wort hopped, Columbus and Cascade at 60, Amarillo and Northern Brewer at 20, Columbus, Cascade and Amarillo at five and 2oz Cascade and 2.5oz Amarillo dry hopped.

Whew, that was some hungry yeast, huh? I guess the sugar may have helped in the low FG. Sounds like quite the IIPA. Should be quite the pleasure to drink.

Yum! Sounds like a Winner to me!!! I love high abv ipa. Keep up the good work!:drunk:

Why, because I could :)

US-05 when treated nicely got this from 1.080 down to 1.009. 100 IBU, 6 SRM and a beauty to look at.

83% Canadian Two Row
14% Cane Sugar
3% Carapilz

20oz of hops were used from FWH, 60, 20,5 and dry hopped ranging from Centennial, Columbus, Northern Brewer, Amarillo, and Cascade.

In the end it came it right at 10%abv and is currently dry hopping for the next week. Fermented at 72 for two weeks and dry hopping for seven days with 5 oz of Amarillo/Cascade. Can't wait!

Just thought that I would share that with you all. :)

Wait.

What?? :cross:

that sounds great!

Being in Santa Rosa, have you had Pliny the Younger? This may be a good one to compare, I think it comes out in February right?

that sounds great!

Being in Santa Rosa, have you had Pliny the Younger? This may be a good one to compare, I think it comes out in February right?

I have had it and it is rocking! Feb it is.

Yeah, I'd like to know how big the batch was and a more detailed hop schedule. Looks like a nice beer.

10 gallons. I can't give all my secrets away;), but I will say that Columbus and Centennial were First Wort hopped, Columbus and Cascade at 60, Amarillo and Northern Brewer at 20, Columbus, Cascade and Amarillo at five and Cascade and Amarillo dry hopped.

Wait.

What?? :cross:

20 oz of hops. I was thinking of going two pounds, but stopped myself when I realized that I had enough flavor. I picked up a bunch of hops from HopsDirect, so I had them just begging to be used.

I tasted a sample of hop juice today...awesome!!!!!! Like drinking a freaking hopsickle ( to quote Moylans)

So I cracked one of these even though I bottled it up a mear week ago and WOW! It was super hop aroma and still yeasty (hey, it's young!) and just reeks of intense hopnessness. A friend and I easily put down a bomber with lunch and I was happy. It needs more time to fully carbonate and to settle down, but man is it good. I am happy with it, though would ferment a little bit cooler the next time to lose a little bit of its fruity notes. Otherwise, solid beer and no alcohol flavors.

Yep, I typically try for 65-68 and really tried with this one too. We just ran into a week long heat spell that threw off my ferment temps. It has been a long time since I have seen 80+f in the November. October, 100f, sure. In all though, it is not as much a live and learn as it is a "get a freaking temp controlled area dummy!"

Not bad, not bad at all. I just cracked a bottle of this yesterday (maybe two ;) ) and it is so good. The carbonation is there, the hops are there, you don't realize until the second pint that there is that much alcohol. I am amazed at how delicious it is tasting. This is officially my new IIPA that I will keep around.

Yep, just like I like my ladies :D. I really find that my IIPA has to be highly attenuative because having 10%abv will lend a certain sweetness to the body. It is part of the reason that I had this fermenting so warm. Of course, in the end it is just a little fruitier than I prefer, but dry and stiff.

The idea of a secret hop schedule is laughable. Your proportions are not special.

Totally right, which is why I let everyone know the schedule. Hops vary though, so by me giving you the exact numbers doesn't mean you will get the same beer. By rereading the posts though you will notice that I try to show the entirety of my recipe without posting the full thing because it needs a little tweaking. Once it is solidified though, maybe it will become a recipe in my dropdown. Maybe not. Who knows. Still a young beer.

To the other fellow that said not to turn out like the secret ingredient post, I guess I should have used a little emoticon after my post of not being able to give all my secrets away. Sarcasm didn't come across. Here let me fix that

I can't give all my secrets away ;)

My co-brewer and I just cracked one of these again yesterday. It is resiny and potent. Split between the two of us was more than enough. We decided that it was not quite malty enough and that maybe a little bit more Two Row and a little less sugar might make it turn out a bit "thicker". Maybe to 15% sugar instead. Otherwise though the color is super light straw and next to a Lagunitas IPA, looks almost like a Bud color :D, just with flavor, alcohol and hops ;)

10 gallons. I can't give all my secrets away;), but I will say that Columbus and Centennial were First Wort hopped, Columbus and Cascade at 60, Amarillo and Northern Brewer at 20, Columbus, Cascade and Amarillo at five and Cascade and Amarillo dry hopped.

20 oz of hops. I was thinking of going two pounds, but stopped myself when I realized that I had enough flavor. I picked up a bunch of hops from HopsDirect, so I had them just begging to be used.

Ounce of each per addition and 2oz of cascade each addition. 2.5oz amarillo and 2oz cascade for the dry hop. You realize that this doesn't help much though. My cascade is super low alpha, my amarillo is higher than normal. I used some midway columbus and the remnants of some Northern Brewer. Hell, with the above quoted you should be able to brew a delicious brew. The recipe is there just to help you out, but I can't even duplicate this since I didn't save the alpha numbers. 5 gallon brewing is also different from ten, so noting the hops used and when and that it came out to 100IBU's is more than helpful. But hey, enjoy and good luck!

Please tell us more about how this beer with no recipe turned out. We are all dying to know.

Glad that your interest is still here. It is a great beer. You should try to replicate it if you get a chance. The hop schedule is a little too resiny for my liking and so I am thinking to cut back on the columbus. Maybe switch it back for the Centennial I like so much. Otherwise, I would take my hop schedule from the Easy IIPA in my dropdown and use this malt bill, making sure to change the sugar to 15% instead of the 20% I used.

Let me just say that two weeks ago I went to the Double IPA festival at SF Beer week and tried an armload of different beers from all over the USA. There were some amazing beers that were exactly what the style should be. Then there were some extreme disappointments to the style and a bunch of poorly made (diacetyl, oxidation, DMS, overly sweet, yada yada) beers that really surprised me. One of the beers that stood out like a sore thumb in a good way was Triple Rock Double IMAXX from Berkley, CA. It was easily the hoppiest beer I have ever tried, overpowering even the mighty Pliny the Younger. It was superb in a way that you have to try to understand.

I just cracked one of these 10% IIPA's that is now three months old open yesterday and was blown away by it in a way not dissimilar to the delicious IIPAs at the festival. Maybe a little bit less aromatics than my favorites there, but at three months old, I am not surprised.

There are some great IIPA's out there in the USA and I hope that everyone gets a chance to try them. I have to say that there are a lucky few that get Fat Heads in Pennsylvania, PA and Cleveland, OH.

Merry Beer Drinking Everyone!

Back