Is this a viable option for a stand??? (Review W/Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I know it's been balls out on the brew stand building on here lately, which has me itching to change my setup. BUT, im not going to spend massive amounts for something I already accomplish with what I have. I found this Double Propane Burners, Folding Double Propane Burner to be an interesting option. It would allow me several different options.

1 keep my cooler/mt but allow for easier transfer to/from hlt and bk.
2 Add a burner in the middle(there's 18" of space) and have a 3 tier setup.
3 Could use gravity or add a pump

I realize the frame isn't 1.5"x 1.5" stainless tubing, but it seems like a good alternative from burners on the garage floor to a nice structured system.

And if nothing else it comes with a $100 + in burners. Also I found it for $179 at another site. What does everything think??

That is a great set up! With a little fab skill you could easily add another fold out on the other side for a HLT burner, a pump, and have yourself a great pyramid stand.

Talk about a sweet portable system!

I like it! Seems it would work well, though wouldn't it be a 2 tier stand if you added another burner in the middle?

Maybe your right, I dont think there's enough height to do a gravity 3 tier. Would need a pump. Would have to see how low the bottom burner is.

I wonder if you can incorporate this on the top burner:

Turkey Fryer Accessories, Temp Control

EDIT: I was interested in this so I called back and the temp control can be added to the top burner but not the bottom burner. This person I talked to wasn't willing to guarantee whether it would work below the range though (see below).

It doesn't work with the "Kick a Banjo Burner" which looks like what is on the bottom teir of that setup, but then you wouldn't need it if you were just boiling with that one. I just spoke to them about it and they said that the dial goes from 200-450*F, but that some homebrewers were using it successfully to below the bottom range of the dial. I am guessing that means it will work at mashing temps, but you would probably have to test it out a bit to see how it worked. I said they could probably sell quite a few of them if they expanded the range down to about 140*, but it may be worth trying it out. Just a thought.

I wonder if you can incorporate this on the top burner:

Turkey Fryer Accessories, Temp Control

EDIT: I was interested in this so I called back and the temp control can be added to the top burner but not the bottom burner. This person I talked to wasn't willing to guarantee whether it would work below the range though (see below).

It doesn't work with the "Kick a Banjo Burner" which looks like what is on the bottom teir of that setup, but then you wouldn't need it if you were just boiling with that one. I just spoke to them about it and they said that the dial goes from 200-450*F, but that some homebrewers were using it successfully to below the bottom range of the dial. I am guessing that means it will work at mashing temps, but you would probably have to test it out a bit to see how it worked. I said they could probably sell quite a few of them if they expanded the range down to about 140*, but it may be worth trying it out. Just a thought.

I was wondering if they made a simple temp controller.

Anybody have any experience with this thing?

That is a shame, good to know someone has already vetted this though. Wouldn't want life to get too easy though would you.

I was wondering if they made a simple temp controller.

Anybody have any experience with this thing?

After I got it to stop shooting flames out of the side of the body(!), I found that it really cut down on the output of the burner even if was set to the max temperature.

I pulled the trigger on this, so i'll report back with pics when it's setup.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ba...urner-outdoor-patio-stove-range-/554RBA5.html

Cheapest spot.

EDIT: Upon further review... that place is out of stock and does not list shipping costs. It will likely be cheapest to purchase directly from Bayou Classic.

that place is the web store for Clarks food service in Lancaster PA. the store is 5 minutes down the road from me. Great people there and great prices and service. When I was a chef I was there every chance I could. Now that I'm a brewer, I'm back again. I got my 60qt pot from them. I've gotten a lot of brewing supplies there.

I hadn't seen that product in the retail store, and after seeing the post that they ship direct from BC, I understand why.

It isn't the prettiest stand in the world, it's a tad out of square, but sturdy enough for it's intended purpose. After trying 20 different configurations, I believe a pump would work best with this setup. Especially with a cooler mt, if you had all kettles you could easily make a 3 tier gravity system.

Since I want to employ the two burners I paid for, i'll leave the mashtun where it usually sits(on the white table in the pics) and pump from hlt. Then pump to bk. Not ideal but it will save my back compared to my old setup. Unless you fine folks see something I overlooked im open to suggestions.

Also if someone was interested in a 3 tier gravity system your hlt height would be 5'6" to the top of the kettle (15 gallon, 16" high) so not to bad to hoist water up that high.

Folds up for easy storage or transport.
DSCN1893.jpg

15 &20 gallon pot (perfect height for a gravity setup!)
DSCN1892.jpg

Obligatory night shot of burners. Both burners run nicely off one tank with the supplied splitter.

DSCN1889.jpg

On second thought you really don't have to use a pump for this setup. I would just drain the hlt as I normally do into a 3 gallon bucket (split batch sparge) and pour into mt. It would work to get a longer hose and gravity drain from the counter top to the bk. So this setup can be either ghetto (pump) or super ghetto (no pump). :mug:

Thanks for the update. I was looking at this set up for a three tier gravity config (I've got two kegs right now and another coming - should be able to convert them shortly).

I'd love a pump, but it's just not in the cards right now.

Are you using a pump with the set up currently?

I just shot an email asking about purchasing the Stan by itself for those of us who may already have burners. I'll post their response if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the update. I was looking at this set up for a three tier gravity config (I've got two kegs right now and another coming - should be able to convert them shortly).

I'd love a pump, but it's just not in the cards right now.

Are you using a pump with the set up currently?

Haven't brewed with it yet, maybe tomorrow, but I don't have a pump yet.

I just shot an email asking about purchasing the Stan by itself for those of us who may already have burners. I'll post their response if anyone is interested.

Probably not possible, the burners are welded into the stand not bolted.:(

Explains the answer I got then:)

When they told me No, I thought, "lazy bastards, just unbolt the burners and sell me the stand. He didn't bother explaining WHY and that they ere welded. Thanks for the info.

Finally brewed on my new stand today. I like it! Still need to do a few more things, like put metal plating where the mt sits, instead of plywood. I want to get some heat shield and put it at the back of the top burner to protect mt. It saved my back not having to lift hot water head high. This works well without a pump, but would work even better with one.

DSCN1902.jpg

DSCN1906.jpg

It cost about $25 to add these arms to support the cooler, they attach with wing nuts so it's easily folded and removed for storage/transport.

DSCN1907.jpg

DSCN1908.jpg

I would like to see a picture of the welded burner seems a lot of trouble to weld a cast iron burner onto a steel frame I have never seen it done. I have a hard enough time just welding cast iron to cast iron.

Finally brewed on my new stand today. I like it! Still need to do a few more things, like put metal plating where the mt sits, instead of plywood. I want to get some heat shield and put it at the back of the top burner to protect mt. It saved my back not having to lift hot water head high. This works well without a pump, but would work even better with one.

It cost about $25 to add these arms to support the cooler, they attach with wing nuts so it's easily folded and removed for storage/transport.

Very cool! Did you fab those arms yourself and just drill some holes into the frame where they're mounted?

I would like to see a picture of the welded burner seems a lot of trouble to weld a cast iron burner onto a steel frame I have never seen it done. I have a hard enough time just welding cast iron to cast iron.

The welds look decent, I would have no problem putting a full 20 gallon pot on the top burner, although the bigger burner sits on the ground. Actually the burners aren't welded, it's the entire stock burner frame that's welded into the support legs.

DSCN1912.jpg

I'm having trouble visualizing this in action- do you pump from the MLT ball valve to the brewpot? (Sorry- I'm kind of thick)

Eventually yes, until i get a pump like conpewter said, I drain into a 3 gallon bucket and transfer it to the brewpot. That's why I like this setup, it's easy with or without a pump.

Back