Thought I would share my wort chiller setup.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Eugenics

Reaction score
I see this question come up a lot about how to cool your wort in the summer so I thought I would share my setup. My tap water is usually 80 in summer and 60 in the winter so for two reasons I went with this setup. One my faucet is unable to receive the hose adapter and two my tap water is always hot.
My set up is a Petco power head aquarium pump which works extremely well and 20 feet of 3/8 copper homemade wort chiller. I cool the wort down to 120 then I add about 15# of ice to cool it the rest of the way. The entire process takes about 30 to 35 minutes.

2012-08-29_02-55-19_994.jpg

2012-08-29_03-01-48_153.jpg

2012-08-29_03-02-36_581.jpg

Thanks, but I stir/swirl with the thermometer, I'll try moving the chiller itself to see if it makes a difference. But I think maybe I just need to invest in a bigger chiller.

Thanks for sharing. I have the same issue with not being able to hook up a wort chiller to my sink. Never thought of using a submersible aquarium pump.

what is the gph on that pump?

225 GPH, I have also refined my process. I now put everything on the left side pot and all, stir with a spoon (instead of the thermometer) and only use ten pounds of ice. I'm now down to 25 minutes.

Back