$59 dollars really!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a deal. The picture has both stainless and aluminum pots in it, but the add is for stainless. Sweet deal! 59 bucks for a 15 gallon kettle with a lid.

Check it out

Cabela's Stainless Steel Boiling Pots/Baskets

Just saw this on the online Can you believe it. Could I go wrong with using this as my mash tun instead of rubbermaid 10 g cooler? Even if its not all clad or tri-ply or whatever?

You'll need to insulate the heck out of it unless you direct fire your mash tun, and then you'll need a false bottom, but that's a good price on a pot regardless.

I was told by my LHBS (local homebrew sensei) That my cooler "blows" B/c I cannot mashout. I've had pretty good results but 25lbs of grain is about tops in a 10 gallon unit. So I'm thinking of upgrading to 15 gal brewpot but want one thats cheap and will last. So 59 for pot valve 20 and false bottom 40 thermometer 30 at most 150 for whole thing or morebeer has their badass one on sale for 229.00??????

Great find, sad part the Cabela's catalog is banned in my house by the War Department AKA wife. I spent too much on fly fishing gear 4-6 years ago. I can't help myself with Cacela's on the phone, open catalog pages marked with Visa card in hand what go wrong????

One friend just gave me a polished heavy gauge SS pot 16" diameter x 17 1/2" tall knowing i'm into brewing. Comes to 15 gallons. He got it off another friend that was going to scrap it out, a scrap collector. It looks still looks like new. I have scouts out looking for kegs, corny's or best yet any SS conical chamber. One friend delivers vinegar for a living to processing plants at 6,500 gallons a load. Some plants have bone yards out back, I need him to check for any available conicals in my wanted size and work out a deal for me. Time and luck vs dropping big money works for me.

Soooo tempting. Do I really need it? *sighs* no... But I probably will soon and will kick myself. D@mn you foul temptress.

Be careful with those ads. I almost bought a 15gal pot the other week b/c the titel said ss, then the small printed detailed description said aluminium. Make sure you really order what you think you order :)

i just ordered two ill use one for a hlt and one for a bk. i was going to go with keggles but these just look so much cleaner.

wow, seems like a good deal. i was thinking of getting a larger pot so i could do 10 gallons(i still do extract + grains). let us know what you think of it after you get it.

Has anyone seen these in person yet? I have been waiting to get a couple keggles, but I can't find any donor kegs here. I was thinking about getting one of these and using it as a temp boil pot, then either sell it or use it has the HLT after I can come up with kegs.....or should I just buy two of these and not look for kegs? I am just worried they will be as thin as my $5 5 gal pots from pottery barn.

Has anyone seen these in person yet? I have been waiting to get a couple keggles, but I can't find any donor kegs here. I was thinking about getting one of these and using it as a temp boil pot, then either sell it or use it has the HLT after I can come up with kegs.....or should I just buy two of these and not look for kegs? I am just worried they will be as thin as my $5 5 gal pots from pottery barn.
I dont know about quality as I just bought it today but I know they are on clearance so dont delay too long. The 80 qt is already gone.

Actually Ill work on making larger than 10 gallon batches and max out how much I can do with those antifoaming drops. Fermacap I think.

well I bought one 59+8 for shipping not bad. I will let you know what The quality looks like. Now I need a good place for false bottoms and valves weldless

well I bought one 59+8 for shipping not bad. I will let you know what The quality looks like. Now I need a good place for false bottoms and valves weldless

I got one too... I'm excited to get this.. 24qt was not cutting it.

I ordered one last night but I'm not sure if it went through. It said something like my order needed further processing and then only authorized $59 for payment even with it showing the $8 shipping. It's no biggie if it falls through. I don't have wort chiller yet and I need the money for Christmas anyway.

edit
I got a confirmation email
Merchandise = $59.99
Postage = $17.95
Tax = $3.72
ORDER TOTAL = $81.66

Does it matter if they're aluminum vs. stainless?
lol A bit of a debatable topic I guess but they will both work. I have used an aluminum pot in the past and it worked great. It was a 6 gallon pot and I would fill as much as possible, and avoid boil overs, and I could get a rolling boil on an electric range. Al has better conductivity than SS so I dont know if I would have been able to do that large of a boil with a SS pot on my range. Not a huge fan of Al in cooking applications so I wanted to remove it from my brewing process so I decided to get the SS.

They both will work the better question might be what setup does your brewery have/will have? Outdoors indoors etc?

I am stoked now can do a trippel or winter brew, this thread went kinda nuts. Glad I spotted it. First saw in the classifieds I think. Good luck to all. and by the way ALUMINUM dude? aluminum is in the brewing world is like Grave Digger in the monster truck world....second best!!!! (To BIGFOOT of course)

Got my pot today and it is indeed stainless steel. It come with a lid and the strainer insert and feels sturdy. I didn't have my calpiers handy but it feels thicker than the 30 quart that I have.

The strainer insert has me thinking I could fit a large muslin bag or something similar over it, and use it to strain out trub and hops after the boil. Feasible?

Brutus - does it appear to be thick enough to support a weldless (or welded) bulkhead setup? I would really like to put a spigot on one. Otherwise, or if you don't think it is at least moderately high quality (considering its not a $300 Blichmann) I might cancel since mine hasn't shipped yet.

I really can't answer that because I am unfamiliar with the specs needed to use a welded or weldless bulkhead set-up. I'm gonna guess it's at .125" thick. There is a made in China sticker on the bottom of the pot though.

Got mine today. Looks good small dent in the side. More annoying than anything else. The box from Cabelas was damaged not the UPS box just for the record. Seems like pretty good quality. Honestly was prepared for thinner given the low price. The strainer kind of sounds like a gong if you the slap the bottom of it. A big plus for me. I just wish I could make some sort of false bottom out of the strainer.

Neener to those who missed it.

Back