Zythos/hopshot extract recipe suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
I wanted to try a few new to me products out on an ipa and am looking for suggestions on the hop schedule. This will be a 5 gallon batch as follows:

6.3 lbs NB superstructure extract(late addition)
3 lbs. extra light dme (full 60 min.)
Fermenting with us-05

I have 3 oz. zythos and 2 hop shots extract vials that I bought for this as well as an ounce each of cascade and Columbus that I'm planning on dry hopping with.

I have never used the zythos or the hop extracts before but after reading a few things I was going to go with 1oz of the zythos for 60min. A full hop shot at 30 a full shot at 15 then 1 oz zythos at 5 min and 1oz. at flameout followed by a hop rest.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I thought hop shots just offered bitterness without flavor/aroma. If so, why add them beyond 60 min? Why not do the hopshots to get your desired IBUs at 60, then add your flavor/aroma hops at 20/10/0/whirlpool?

One of the things I read said that boiling them for a full 60 causes them to clump up really bad making them harder to clean off the kettle and possibly affecting utilization?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back