Zwanze Day 2016-10-01 - The Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh. Eh. Beachwood Seal Beach has to be a cluster****, that place is tiny. If you and Usofar are in then I guess I'll try but there's a lot of kids on my damn lawn.

When is it?
Seal beach is awesome but sells out in 0.0000065 seconds. Not oversold/ overcrowded.

Oh. Eh. Beachwood Seal Beach has to be a cluster****, that place is tiny. If you and Usofar are in then I guess I'll try but there's a lot of kids on my damn lawn.

When is it?

you really don't want to go to that first page do you - Saturday the 1st of October 2016

Seal beach is awesome but sells out in 0.0000065 seconds. Not oversold/ overcrowded.

Assuming tickets aren't released at the same time Beachwood is Plan A - Bagby is Plan B

If I remember correctly the details really don't come out until a week or two before the event

In past years though, it hasn't been something requiring tickets bought in advance, correct? That and what the noon time actually means as far as getting a pour and getting out is what's throwing me off over whether I need to fly out on Sunday instead.

I will attempt to get tickets to Side Project (no idea how that works, but I guess I'll try). If not, I'll have an awesome time at West Lakeview like always.

For the first time in a couple years I don't have a cousin getting married on Zwanze Day. I marked off for right beforehand on the tentative vacation calendar at work in the event a Hill Farmstead trip is possible, otherwise I will be destroying my insides alongside seedavid at Fool's Gold.

Aaaaaand I was just informed that I will be at a wedding on October 1, in Baltimore, where there is no Zwanze Day.

I guess I'll just have to settle for drinking a few gallons of whatever Cantillon brings to The Shelton Brothers Festival.

Will probably try to make it to Akkurat, as I have for the past three years. It's getting more ********-like every year though (last year it was essentially each beer nerd for himself at 9 pm, surprised fights didn't break out in front of the bar as everyone crammed in to get their orders), but the taplist makes up for it I guess (usually 8-12 other Cantillon besides Zwanze, 3-4 of them rare/unusual).

Will be in Arlon, BE for the event. Limited to about 100 people. Last year had Fou, and Rhubarb on draft. Heard a whisper there will be a couple amazing ones this year too

Only one place in London this year (Kernel again). In previous years the second location has always been some bar that was already packed on a Saturday night and so usually didn't make much of an effort around the event.

With The Kernel you just e-mail the office to get on a reservation list for a pour. No social media blitz. Event itself is always really relaxed with a decent tap lineup. Couple of other Loons and about six UK sours. Always a nice time. Zero drama.

Sounds like a good time. If everything with the move is settled in by then I will definitely give it a go. All So Cal beer events have left me jaded so I refuse to line up at 430am for any beer.
Definitely don't have to be there that early. Most people show up early for the bottle share.

Only one place in London this year (Kernel again). In previous years the second location has always been some bar that was already packed on a Saturday night and so usually didn't make much of an effort around the event.

With The Kernel you just e-mail the office to get on a reservation list for a pour. No social media blitz. Event itself is always really relaxed with a decent tap lineup. Couple of other Loons and about six UK sours. Always a nice time. Zero drama.
King's Arms wasn't too bad last year tbh. Wandered in about 9pm, got a table and a glass of Zwanze no worries. Then drank Fou for the rest of the night pretty much.

Will probably try to make it to Akkurat, as I have for the past three years. It's getting more ********-like every year though (last year it was essentially each beer nerd for himself at 9 pm, surprised fights didn't break out in front of the bar as everyone crammed in to get their orders), but the taplist makes up for it I guess (usually 8-12 other Cantillon besides Zwanze, 3-4 of them rare/unusual).
Really? That's too bad. In 2014 (2013? when was I there...) it couldn't have been more chill, I was seriously impressed with how relaxed everyone was.

Next year I'm going to try and get to the Masia Agullons event (near Barcelona) I've heard great things about it, relaxed farmhouse atmosphere, chilled out people and some great food. Seems like a good way to go.

first year in a while that I can go thanks to the date change... I'll probably try to do HF

I just about had a heart attack. Did a bunch of googling to find out what date change! I'd already booked my flight/hotel in NOLA a while back for Oct 1.

Other than last year, I've never missed a Zwanze at Avenue Pub. Looking forward to picking up where I left off!

The real question is, why does Florida have two locations

It's interesting because Redlight has always (since 2012 always been there) handled the crowd well, and Orlando is centrally located. I happily drove the 2.5 hours every year, it was full but not uncomfortably so. Now they've split it up on each coast. I'm sure GB in St. Pete will draw a large crowd from Tampa, Ft. Meyers, Naples.

I guess they want it at more breweries whenever possible, It'll be interesting to see how it goes this year.

I just about had a heart attack. Did a bunch of googling to find out what date change! I'd already booked my flight/hotel in NOLA a while back for Oct 1.

Other than last year, I've never missed a Zwanze at Avenue Pub. Looking forward to picking up where I left off!

the last few years it's fallen on my niece's bday weekend 9/21... not so this year

Is Zwanze a ticketed event at Avenue pub? What's the turnout usually like?

Really? That's too bad. In 2014 (2013? when was I there...) it couldn't have been more chill, I was seriously impressed with how relaxed everyone was.
2013 was chill and I could basically get as many pours as I liked of everything and I think just one keg kicked during the evenibg.. 2014 was worse but still OK. 2015 was crazy (tho probably still not as bad as some US places). Zwanze ran out in less than a minute, several kegs had kicked well before 9 pm. I expect 2016 to be even crazier.

Still, if you get there when they open you'll probably be guaranteed pours of everything that's on at that time.

Is Zwanze a ticketed event at Avenue pub? What's the turnout usually like?
Not a ticketed event. The bar is open 24 hours a day so around 8 am Polly (the owner) has people that want to participate in Zwanze lineup outside) around 9 or 10 wristbands are handed out . The first 2 groups get to sit upstairs. Everyone else that gets a wristband must stay down stairs... Decent amount of lambic all day. Can't leave for any extended period of time or your wristband is forfeited. At 2 everyone with a wristband gets a pour by group number....

Always very busy, always a lot of fun

One of my sales reps just dropped these stickers off for me. There more like temp tattoos but I laughed. Also topical.

jd9uOIc.jpg

I want that on a shirt. NOW.

I hear that Zwanze Day this year at WLV in Chicago is going to be invite only. :rolleyes:

Back