Beer bar recommendations - by state

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charleston sc
Closes for business
Mt pleasant house of brews
Charleston beer exchange

Greenville sc
Barleys tap room
Comminity tap
Greenville beer exchange

When I was in college several years ago, the best place I knew in Arkansas was the Flying Saucer in Little Rock; much better than the one in Memphis, which is the only other Flying Saucer I've been to.

The best beer bar I've ever been to is ØL in Walnut Creek, CA.

Fort Myers, Florida-- Fort Myers Brewing, brews there own. It is a tap room, with a gourmet food truck outside.

Point Ybel Brewing, not yet open but I have had some of there beers, yum!
House of Brews, good selection of bottles and taps

Punta Gorda--- Ice House pub, great atmosphere, 20 some taps 6 of which are rotating.

Charleston sc
Closes for business
Mt pleasant house of brews
Charleston beer exchange

Greenville sc
Barleys tap room
Comminity tap
Greenville beer exchange

I believe I've been to Barleys. Going to have to check the other two places out when I'm there for Christmas.

South Carolina-Columbia
World of Beer
Flying Saucer
Kentucky-Lexington
The Beer Trappe
Lexington Beerworks
Country Boy Brewing -nano/microbrewery but also has about 10 taps of other microbrews that rotate

Tørst in NY should read Tørst, Brooklyn....not new York city

MOAR....

North Fork Tasting Room, Riverhead
Bobbique, Patchogue
Hoptron Boutique, Patchogue

Dallas, TX

While their tap count isn't earth shattering, I think Goodfriend Beer Garden and Burger House should be on the list. They've got a quality beer list and the food is great as well as the atmosphere.

http://goodfrienddallas.com/

Dallas, TX

While their tap count isn't earth shattering, I think Goodfriend Beer Garden and Burger House should be on the list. They've got a quality beer list and the food is great as well as the atmosphere.

http://goodfrienddallas.com/

Totally forgot that one! Usually have one of each major local beer and several others. Great burgers as well.

For KY, Sergio's World of Beer must be included. Over 1000 bottles and 40 taps! Also, the Heurot in Muncie, IN is a great place to have some quality brews.

Another for Illinois.

Bulldog Ale House in Roselle. 32 Beers on tap, pretty good craft beer selection and Thursday nights are $2 drafts.

For Washington, DC, the three with the widest and best selection are Bier Baron (Dupont Circle), RFD (Chinatown) and Churchkey (Logan Circle). Lots of others have great, but smaller, taplist - but these three have 25-50 taps, and 1 or no taps of BMC.

Come to think of it, I'd also give Iron Horse in Chinatown honorable mention.

In WI - The Malt house in Madison has a good selection. Only visited once, enjoyed it.

In IL- The Firkin in Libertyville. 20-30 taps rotating. Variety of proper glassware. Mostly domestic craft beers, but they do carry some imported, and even have a Miller Lite handle for your friends that just can't handle better beer. Pretty good list of bottles. Some wines on tap, good selection of liquor too.

When did The Malt House open? I did a stent in Madison from 09-10, I would hate to think I missed out on a beer bar while I was there, but hey, I don't always do a great job and getting to know the local joints.

tyke said:
For KY, Sergio's World of Beer must be included. Over 1000 bottles and 40 taps! Also, the Heurot in Muncie, IN is a great place to have some quality brews.

I've never heard of Sergio's, where is it?

South Dakota

Independent ale house, rapid city
Wooden legs brewing co, Brookings (they brew and serve other beers)

Colorado

Oskar blues homemade liquids and solids, longmont

Right Brain Brewery and 7 Monks-both in Traverse City Michigan.

I've never been to 7 Monks, but Right Brain Brewery is just a brewery. They've got a lot of beer on tap, but it's not the beer bar that the op is asking for. If it was, Founders, Dark Horse, etc. would be top of the list. Traverse City kicks ass, though-especially Jolly Pumpkin.

Tennessee --- add these please.

Memphis:
- The Flying Saucer (Downtown and Cordova)
- The Mellow Mushroom (East Memphis and Germantown)
- Bardog (Downtown)

Nashville:
- Broadway Brewhouse
- Blackstone Brewery / Brewpub
- The Flying Saucer

Knoxville:
- Bearden Beer Market (drink-on-premises beer store, with lots of fun games out back)
- Calhoun's (Kingston Pike)

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head

I'm not going to say its the best in the state but when I lived in NY I used to enjoy the food and drinks at the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery. The Oktoberfest celebration at Whiteface Mountain down the road is lots of fun too.

Charlottesville, VA: Beer Run, Sedona Taphouse, Citizen Burger (smallish tap selection but huge and great bottle inventory not to mention just a cool place)
Harrisonburg, VA: Capital Ale House - I'm pretty sure this location has more taps than any of them (3 in Richmond, 1 in Fredericksburg)
Asheville, NC: the Thirsty Monk downtown, haven't been to the other one

Portland/Hillsboro Area:
Orenco Tap House - Rotating 20 Taps from local breweries, 2 on Nitro. They use the giant TV's as screens to show whats currently on tap, including style, ABV and how much is left in the keg. Even better you can see all of this on their website so you can see whats on tap. No food, you can bring in anything you want, there are food carts and stores selling food all around the area, many will deliver to the bar for free and their menu's are at the Taphouse so you can call to make an order. Its a symbiotic relationship at its finest, let the brewers do beer and the chef's make food.
http://www.orencotaphouse.com/

Downtown Portland:
Baileys Tap Room - Very similar to Orenco, Baileys was the first to do this downtown really successfully and Orenco brought it out to the suburb masses. Also a great place with 20 taps, quite a bit smaller in terms of seating.
http://www.baileystaproom.com/

Long Beach, CA: Congregation alehouse. Great food, excellent relationships with the better micros in LA so always great stuff on tap.

Agoura Hills, Ca: Wade's Wines. Its a retail establishment that has a tasting bar with 20-30 taps, all good brews. The owners also just opened a nano next door called Sundowner.

Santa Monica, CA: Father's Office. Great better and food, a legend in the area.

For TEXAS

The Hay Merchant - Houston
O'bannon's Taphouse - College Station
Harvey Washbangers - College Station (6 taps + several bottles, ALL Texas beers)
The Red Brick Tavern - Conroe (only about a dozen taps, but Aaron the bar manager constantly rotates new brews in)

I almost forgot Cheeky Monk In Denver, CO.

Can't believe I forgot that one too. One of my favorites. Another couple, would be one of the 3 Yardhouse's around town (Denver, Lakewood and Lone Tree) and the various Mellow Mushroom locations (Denver, Centennial and Lone Tree). While not explicitly beer bars, they all have really good beer selections. The 1Up and 2Up (both in Denver) have smaller selections (~10 craft on tap and a few more in cans/bottles) but a ton of old school arcade machines.

Quick correction on the Wisconsin entries: Bay View is a neighborhood where a few of these bars are located rather than the name of a bar.

Back