Your top 3 hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not brewed enough to know my top 3 but I am sure Cascade would be one of them.

I tried to start a hop garden of hops I like but I know there are more. Perle is great from what I have experienced thus far and I like EKG too but don't have any planted :(

EKG (which my wife is not especially keen on)
Saaz

Third is a tough one to nail down, but today I'll go with Strisselspalt

I am trying Vangard for the first time. Can't go wrong with Cascade, Fuggles, and Columbus though. IMO.

Styrian Goldings (Balkan), Perle (Hallertal), Willamette (Nothwest)

EKG, Tettnang & Challenger.

And I suspect I'm the only person here who thinks Cascades are just plain nasty.

Chad

Alright everybody I believe the OP is looking for an answer. So here it is in this order

NUMBER 1: Cascade- spicy,floral,citrusy flavor used for aroma or bittering
NUMBER 2: Centennial- basically a juiced up version of cascade for bittering
NUMBER 3: (my personal favorite) Sterling- like a mix between Saaz and Mt.Hood a spicy,herbal flavor with a little bit of floral/citrus notes, works great for both aroma and bittering/flavoring and mixes great with the top 2 hops.
And there you have it. the top three.:rockin:

Magnum. Period. need bittering hops with high alpha acid and low cohu
Centennial
Amarillo

I know, the last 2 are close but I don't do german beers much

Cascade, NOT! The most over used and over rated hop on the planet earth.

Amarillo, Centennial, and the jury's still out on the third, maybe Chinook?

Cascade, NOT! The most over used and over rated hop on the planet earth.

Amarillo, Centennial, and the jury's still out on the third, maybe Chinook?

I'm not sure I'd put it quite that way, but I'm surprised by the people who say cascade and don't mention centennial, or the post above that is supposedly the answer that says cascade for aroma and centennial for bittering.

Once I started using Centennial, I no longer buy cascade because centennial is similar aroma-wise but with the AA to be a great bittering hop.

My top 3: Centennial, Chinook, and too many to choose from on a third, but maybe EKG, Amarillo, or Mt. Hood.

I tallied the results of this. Had to make a couple of judgment calls in places (some folks just had to list 4!). Here are the results to date:

26 Cascade
18 Centennial
12 Fuggle, EKG
11 Saaz
10 Chinook, Hallertau
8 Simcoe
7 Amarillo
6 Willamette
5 Columbus
4 Styrian Goldings
3 Sterling, Perle, Tettanager, Magnum
2 Nugget, Northern Brewer, Summit
1 Warrior, Spalt, Tradition, Brewers Gold, Liberty, Mt Hood, Strisselspalt, Challenger

Ill give 3 for bittering and 3 for aroma flavor hops

Bittering- Simcoe, Gelena, Mangum- there are so many others...

Aroma- Amarillo, Cascade, have had no luck with any others Ive tried as late additions

Amarillo rules

Ill give 3 for bittering and 3 for aroma flavor hops

Bittering- Simcoe, Gelena, Mangum- there are so many others...

Aroma- Amarillo, Cascade, have had no luck with any others Ive tried as late additions

Amarillo rules

Try a blend of Amarillo and Simcoe together. They play off each other perfectly.

Back