your favorite extra pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antony

Reaction score
Been noticing how much I like really floral/hoppy extra pale ales. I've brewed a 9 lb Pilsner/2.5 lb red wheat w/5 oz of falconers flight that I really liked. Right around 45 ibus, really pale and so delicious young. Anyone have a hop that they think would be delicious w/the same relative ibus? Just starting to really grasp recipe design & tune into what I prefer, all suggestions welcome.

Thanks gang!!

I love cascade and centennial in a pale ale but my house pale ale uses warrior and green bullet hops. My most recent incarnation included HBC 438 hops and has been very popular with my friends.

The best Pale Ale I have ever had was Vermont's Long Trail Brewery's "Long Trail Pale Ale" They no longer brew it. It had more aroma than any other ale I have ever tried. I emailed them a couple years ago and they listed Chinook, Nugget, Cascade and Centennial as the hops. I have brewed it a few times getting closer. I even cultured yeast for their Long Trail Ale.

HBC 342 is great! So is Ahtanum. Usually I use Cascade though. But I also use a whirlpool with a total of 8 oz of hops (Cascade) with half in the whirlpool. It's my gateway to IPA pale ale...

My house Tallgrass Blonde is extra pale brewed with equal thirds of 2-row, Vienna, and Pilsner to an O.G. of 1.058 with 1/2oz Columbus at 60 minutes and 3/4oz of Ahtanum at 5 minutes. I really like the flavor the Ahtanum gives it. This recipe is less ibus than you were looking for but you could up the quantities or dry hop with more Ahtanum to give it more oomph.
Someday I will make this recipe with Czech Saaz or Hersbrucker at the 5 minute mark for something different.

Back