Your experience with CO2 liquid transfers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardU

Reaction score
I use 3 CO2 tanks for various reasons. So I get a 20# tank with liquid line from my supplier and transfer to my tanks (one 10# and two 5# tanks).

I'm down to 10# in the 40# tank after filling a 5# tank, but it only took 3# before the pressures balanced out.

Does anyone have advice on maximizing the CO2 transfer? I know I can cool the receiving tank. Anything else? If they were all empty, should I fill the 10# first or both 5# first? Or does it matter?

Cheers, Richard

I use a 20 pound siphon tank to service my three 5 pounders. I don't get caught up in how full I get them - don't even bother chilling them first - because the siphon tank is just a short walk from brew space to workshop. If I only get 3 to 3-1/2 pounds in them that's just fine.

Having observed the folks at my now departed lhbs fill my CO2 tanks I can say they had to have lost quite a bit of gas in the process of "filling/venting/filling some more/venting some more/repeat until the net weight is 5 pounds". As a practice they still made money at it, but imo it doesn't make sense as the end user :)

Cheers!

Back