Your cost of producing your favorite recipe $

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
I figured I would start this thread in order to enlighten newbies and maybe some die-hards on actual costs of producing quality beer. I suppose the word 'quality' is subjective, so I will say that you should quote your favorite recipe and what it costs per pint/gallon etc. This is not to show how cheap you can produce beer, but rather show a range of costs for favorite recipes.

Here is mine: and irish red:

PER 5-gallon batch
Grain: 12lbs, I buy in bulk at average of $.85 lb = $10.20
Hops: 1oz total @ $2.50 per oz = $2.50
Yeast: 1/2 pack of Nottingham @ $2.50 per pack = $1.25
Propane: 1/4 of a tank @ $16 per tank = $4.00

Gross cost to produce 5-gallons = $17.95
Gross cost to produce 1-pint = .44 each
Gross cost to produce 1-gallon= 3.59
Gross cost to produce a growler = 1.80

My fave personal recipe (so far) is an all-grain Dead Guy-ish clone. Ingredient cost typically about $35 for a 5 gal batch. Nothing bought in bulk.

Favorite IPA
5.5 gallons all grain no bulk purchasing

grain $25
hops $30
yeast $5-$15 (2 strains, price depending on whats in fridge)

Looks like a lot as i type this... but it makes a beer thats comparable to a $50-$60/case IPA/IIPA.

Average beer for me comes out to around 60 bucks for 10 gallons. That includes everything but the propane, so figure 67 dollars or so. I buy grain and hops in bulk and most of my brews use SA-05 dry yeast. My house pale is probably closer to $45 dollars for 10 gallons but an average of $67 sounds good....So...I'm happy.

I should say as well that when I brew a favorite IPA, that my prices usually head up to those marks. I grow my own hops, and so depending on the recipe-- I might use some fresh hops/thus it alters the pricing a bit.

I've spent so much money on bulk grains, hops, and all kinds of equipment, I've given up on calculating cost. I just make beer until I need more stuff. The thought of brewing beer for the savings involved is long gone:cross: Whenever I start thinking about how much I spend, I just drink more beer.

I'm anal, in the fact that I keep track of almost every $ spent on brewing over the past few years. The only significant expense I don't count is the electricity used to heat the wort on my kitchen stove. I partial mash/partial boil.

My average beer is 1.059 OG (average 6.6% abv), average hops per batch used is 4.7 ozs. Cost for ingredients for a 5 gallon batch is $18.39. Cost includes sanitizer, bottle caps, foam control, etc.

When adding up ALL costs associated with brewing, including the cost of equipment and unused supplies (such as 20 lbs of hops in the freezer, and 150 lbs of grain in the basement), my average cost per 12 ounce bottle is 49 cents, after almost 7,000 bottles.

Partial mash two-hearted ale clone:

10 bucks for 4 lbs of crushed grain at lhbs
13 bucks for 5 lbs dme (bulk from label peelers)
4 bucks for 4 ozs centennial (by the pound from hausotterted)
5 bucks for a pack of US-05 (but cut that in half since I always repitch)

So... 29.50 for two cases of great IPA ... Maybe $34 if you count the energy costs on my stove? That's about 70 cents per 12er or 4.20 a sixer. Not bad.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My Blonde Ale is about $30/10g, my last IPA was ~$43/10g. I brew fairly modest beers. This doesn't count PBW, Starsan, CaCl, and Lactic acid but these costs are small for me (never more than $1 total per batch). Grain is bought in bulk, hops in bulk and I've pulled about 100g out of my last purchase of yeast.

Back