You might think that 83% efficiency is good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: We're at 7 days and I'm fermenting around 63 degrees. I had active fermentation after only 2 hours in the carboys (without a starter).The kolsch is STILL at high krausen! Looks like it's going to be at least another two or three weeks before I rack to secondary and add gelatin.
What do you guys think about the 63 degree ferment temp? I'm surprised the yeasties are working as hard as they are at that temp. In the past I've had problems with S-05 below 70 degrees, but I guesss WL Kolsch is a significantly different animal (or plant, as the case may be)

63 is a great temp for a Kolsch, you could warm it up a bit so it finishes nice and dry if you so choose. Either way, I bet you're in for a nice beer. Were you planning on entering anything into the Peach State Brew Off?

edit: Don't skimp on the 4-6 week lagering phase, it changes the beer substantially!

I have not found my pre-boil readings to be a reliable measurement for predicting OG. How are you taking these readings?

Take a pre-boil sample @ 60*F, I believe it depends on your boil off ratio, efficiency, etc. but my pre-boil readings are 15 points less than my Post-boil O.G.

I have not found my pre-boil readings to be a reliable measurement for predicting OG. How are you taking these readings?

Well, it's simple math. If X gallons is X brix, then Y gallons will by Y brix. The keys are (1) knowing the exact amount of wort pre-boil, (2) having an accurate pre boil reading, and (3) having an accurate idea of how much you expect post boil.

63 is a great temp for a Kolsch, you could warm it up a bit so it finishes nice and dry if you so choose. Either way, I bet you're in for a nice beer. Were you planning on entering anything into the Peach State Brew Off?

edit: Don't skimp on the 4-6 week lagering phase, it changes the beer substantially!

I don't think the Kolsch will be ready in time. I may enter my Bunker Hill Brown Ale if I can get around to building a biermuncher bottle filler. I've never entered a comp, don't really know what to expect.

I made an AWESOME oktoberfast using kolsch yeast and kept it in the low 60s throughout the fermentation. Possibly the best beer I've made so far. I left it in the closet to carb for 4-5 months before a wedding and it was crystal clear and very well received.

Drain all wort into boil kettle give a gentle stir and take a sample from the ball valve, how is this not reliable. I have never been off more than 1 point using this method. I plug the number into beersmith if I need to dilute.

You're studying too hard for the test. Buy a refractometer, and you'll only need a drop or two of wort from the boil kettle for testing. No cooling required. :)

10 days. still at high krausen. I think I stumbled across some mutant yeast.

10 days. still at high krausen. I think I stumbled across some mutant yeast.

Kolsch yeast likes to keep a krausen around. It also basically never completely flocculates. This is pretty normal for the few Kolsch brews i have done. I actually had to rack out from under a krausen after FOUR WEEKS of primary. The wheat malt that is in most kolsch recipes also contributes to this.

Back