You know what really grinds my gears!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
When you buy a box of protein bars only to find out after opening the first one that they were apparently sat out in the Afghan sun for a week ensuring they were all completely melted into one end of the wrapper.

And the bastards wont take them back because its a food item! ****ers!

c.n.budz said:
Dude, you really are having a bad f-ing day today...

I was just about to say that...

Mike,
I've been in your position both during Panama in 89, the First Gulf War in 90-91 and trust me...it will get better.

Look on the bright side though...at least you aren't in Iraq.

Hey Mike dont they have like a 240bravo set up somewhere that you can just go unload a few thousand rounds into the sand? If I was having the day you were having thats what I would want to do.

Look on the bright side though...at least you aren't in Iraq

Yea that was 03/04 when we were getting rocketed and mortared every day.

Afghanistan isnt that bad- Especially if I can ***** about wasting 35$ on protein bars.

But still! Damn I was all set to have a nice midnight snack and I get a congealed mess of wrapper and blah!

Mr Stimey

The AF wont let us shoot. Been trying to go out with the Army when they go but its been too hit or miss.

Get some Hooah! bars from the army guys I bet they would love to get rid of them. they taste like butt though.

Sounds like when I was stationed in the West Indies. Everything came down on a very slow barge. Anything that could melt did and about half the trips the reefer died, so no 'fresh' meat.

You could always resort to MREs;). I hear they're pretty good these days. I remember when I was in the Marines in the early 90s... the dreaded No. 4... omelet w/ ham:eek:

menschmaschine said:
You could always resort to MREs;). I hear they're pretty good these days. I remember when I was in the Marines in the early 90s... the dreaded No. 4... omelet w/ ham:eek:

The really foul one was the Ham & Chicken loaf...still makes me shudder.

menschmaschine said:

Oh god. We used to have macoroni and peas with I swear 85% MSG. (1989)

Beans and well.. to be honest, I think my brain has repressed the rest.

Of course being Canadian, I think we called them soemthing else. IMP's I think. <<shudder>>.

Man, these guys today have it so good. Our IMP's were always soooo f'ing odd. Take to food items that you would never put together and an IMPs wouold have both of those together. Now they get:

1 Ham Steak w/Mustard Sauce Hungarian Goulash
Navarin
2 Beans with Wieners in Tomato Sauce Pork with Herbs and Wine Sauce Tarragon Chicken
3 Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Macaroni w/Cheese Sauce Chicken Breast Cacciatore
4 Sausage and Hash Browns Turkey and Vegetable Stew Cabbage Rolls and Tomato Sauce
5 Sausage Links Beef Ravioli Salisbury Steak Dinner
6 Omelette w/Salsa Beef Chop Suey Cheese Tortellini in Marinara Sauce

I always had a bizarre taste for the spicy Pork Chop, I was drawn to that hideous chunk of re-processed meat by some genetic mutation of my taste buds.

Tuna and noodles or chicken and rice were my favorites. I loathed the ham slice.

I was a crew chief on the C-5, and when one would come from overseas, the first place a crew chief goes is the troop compartment to see what was left behind. I remember eating a lot of stuff where I couldn't read the lable--I hope it was edible and not something like candles or ass-paste.

I ordered my Detour bars from www.bodybuilding.com and never had an issue. Averaged six days to get them in Iraq. I was there in the summer, and never had one melted.

Hooah bars? They had those at the chow hall. I kept a few around "for emergency use only". Those things were friggin' nasty.

I had some Detours that I had bought from BB.com- Love em. These were EAS bars I bought at the BX because I am gonna be leaving here in 28 days.

Back