Do you know what really grinds my gears?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hout17

Crush it REAL Good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Receiving two freshly exchanged CO2 bottles only to find out the valve is leaking out of the top when the gas is turned on. I played with it for an hour thinking it was my regulator before realizing itni.went through three gaskets lol. Grabbed the other CO2 bottle no problem at all.

These were supposedly just tested too lol WTH!

That one will be going back tomorrow! Rant over.

Pulling the tap handle, getting 1/4 glass of beer then boom foam sprays everywhere and now the glass is full of yeasty sediment gunk. Dang! and that looked like a great pour. That really grinds my gears! Good thing I've got 3 more taps to pour from.

oh damn, it's so much nicer when the last pour is a perfect full glass! i hate it when i feel like i wasted 3/4 of one and have to dump it... :mug:

Did you open the valve all the way, until it stopped turning? That's important to make a positive seal in the open position. Never operate a tank anywhere in between fully open and fully closed.

i've had 13lb 20lb fills, but never an actual leak at the valve. good thing you caught it!
Maybe it started out at 20#....

i've had 13lb 20lb fills, but never an actual leak at the valve. good thing you caught it!

Yeah, this is the first time it's ever happened to me and ironically the first time I've ever done a bottle swap lol. I tried two different regulators too it's not a small leak either. You might be able to sale a boat on the ocean with it.

Did you open the valve all the way, until it stopped turning? That's important to make a positive seal in the open position. Never operate a tank anywhere in between fully open and fully closed.

Yeah fully opened gail force winds out of the top of the valve not where the regulator connects.

Maybe it started out at 20#....

no, i weigh my tanks before i even hook up the reg after a swap...and actually, i like to bring my bathroom scale to the welding shop now after that....

Dumping it down your throat is not considered waste. You should try it once in a while... ::lol:

calorie counting makes that difficult....need a perfect pour every time, by weight..

yeah, i suppose... but entering it into the program is harder....

( :mug:)
Since we're in DRMM, let's push this pesky issue a little... We simply can.not.waste.beer.like.that. Period!
What kinda program is that? Can you only add whole numbers to it, no decimals, such as .75 instead of 1? :goat:

We simply can.not.waste.beer.like.that. Period!

waste not want not, i know, i know...but my second to last batch cost $6.5 for 10 gallons of 7.5%....and yeah i know find a penny pick it up...and yeah i can enter .75....but the carbonation on a dead keg doesn't pour good....

And yeah what kind of program is that lol!

CRON-O-Meter, i still use the free Java version, been using it for 12 years now.....keeps my waist slim, and my beer glass full....

glad you got your emission problem under control! :mug:

I have never heard to open the CO2 bottle all the way to seal it, never had one leak there either

Learn something new everyday :mug:

My son calls me up the other day, he was starting to carb 3 new kegs, CO2 bottle dumped in 24 hours, well son you have a leak somewhere...

2 hours later.... calls me... he found a keg lid leaking, a co2 post didn't have an o-ring and a CO2 connector to the keg was missing an o-ring on the inside from the previous cleaning....

That'el teacha young fella

All my relatives who told me they "knew how to drive stick".

But seriously CO2 issues suck.

The equivalent would be if you bottled, your bottle opener breaking, not having another and none of your neighbors have one and you need to go to a specialty store to get one (i.e. not just any supermarket). Ignore the fact that any edge can be a bottle opener in this analogy ;)

Having to buy calibration powder for my Kegland pH meter. I need to just buy them in bulk. Going to need to calibrate next brew and don't have any lol. I wish pH meter didn't have to be babied so damn much!

For the love of God would the United States please switch to the damn metric system? Puh, Puh, Please!

2.54cm in an inch. REALLY!

5 US Gallons equals 4.2 Imperial gallons Really again we don't even have a gallon measurment that agrees with other systems!

5 us gallons = 18.9 liters

Let's just go with the damn metric system!

Last edited:
I'd rather deal with 5 than 18.9, and 1 is easier than 2.54. :ghostly:
That's my point I'd rather deal with liters , grams ,kilos, cm ,meters. It's all based on 10's. I had to learn it anyway when I went to college let's just switch over then we don't have to worry about the stupid conversions lol.

Cheers Boyzzz & Girlzzz

PXL_20211116_182845713~2.jpg

Back